AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I just moved into a new house and I'm looking to install a system in my "great room". I'm attaching a drawing to help visualize things.

On the TV wall (PIO 5020FD), my screen is anchored above a fireplace which is floor to ceiling cultured stone. Built-in bookshelf units flank both side of the fireplace. The built-in's consist of a lower unit with cabinet doors which will house my gear (mesh screens on the doors), and the uppers are bookshelves.

I'm coming from an Energy C7 2.1 system (NAD 761, Energy 10.2 sub). I want to move to a current setup. The Energy speakers are not practical anymore now that I have built-ins. So, I was thinking of a bookshelf system instead.

For asthetic and installation reasons, it's not that practical for me to have a centre channel...I know this is not optimal, but I'm going to have to live with it. I understand a compromise would be to turn off the centre channel in the AVR. Was hoping for your advice on the following:

- AVR consideration: Pio Elite SC-07 or Denon 4308ci (I think the Dynamic Volume feature is quite important to me...new baby, lots of low volume listening ;-), which the Pio doesn't have???...is it rational to forego the SC-07 simply because it lacks that feature?

- speaker recommendation: need two front bookshelfs, and for the rears I need an in-wall solution (Energy in-wall Veritas + ?? fronts, or Polk Audio LSi7's + two rear LC65i's?)

- within speaker recommendation, if they are not matched, can I still elect to go with the Pioneer Elite SC-07 or SC-05? I understand the crossovers are not editable; I also understand this is probably a minor concern thanks to some feedback in another thread here

- is there any special benefit to going with a Pio AVR since I have the 5020FD?

- speaker wire recommendation (will need several long runs dropped into the basement to reach the rear speakers)

I'm sure I've left some things out...many thanks in advance for your help and time.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey again...maybe a better question(s) would just be:

- 4.1? (no centre)...not ideal I know, but acceptable as a good compromise with the right AVR/speakers? or should I definitely find a way to mount a centre channel (although not preferred for several reasons)

- Polk LSi7's or Paradigm Studios (or something else)? I have about 14" of depth in my built-ins for the front speakers...recommendations?

- based on the above question, what speakers (in-wall) should I match to the fronts

Many thanks,

James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello everyone...once more I humbly defer to the experts here to help me choose my bookshelf/in-walls and avr...

I should also point I have the ability to mount two more speakers in my ceiling, thus being able to achieve at least 6.1 since the center channel is not an option...would you guys do that? and if so, would you use the same in-wall/in-ceiling speakers as I would for the rears?

I am seriously considering the Paradigm Studio 20's now, with SA-25's as my rears (and potentially two more in the ceiling?)...thoughts? once again I only have about 14.5" of depth on my bookshelfs, and the 20's are about 13.5" deep...is that a huge problem?

many many thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
since no one has offered any suggestions, I will take a shot at it.

center channel, probably one of the most important speakers for movie soundtracks. Some AVR's do a reasonable job with "phantom center" soundfields, many do not. IF at all possible, figure out a way to get a center channel in place (even if it's portable...ie. sits on a shelf until you actually need it, then move it into position under, or at least near the TV to watch a movie on "movie night"). Please do not consider an in-ceiling unit for the center....voices coming from the ceiling will destroy the front soundstage you are trying to create.

As to bookshelf units, we don't know the size of your shelves, so if the Paradigm's fit, go for it. They appear to be front ported, so sitting on a shelf near the back wall should have minimal effect.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use that wall. I would use the wall across the window. I have not yet found an over the fireplace setup that didn't bother my neck after a few hours. Tilting the TV helps with PQ, but not the neck!

People weren't hanging SDTVs over fireplaces, so why would it be a good idea for a flatscreen. The one horrible thing with flat screens is that people can slap them anywhere. If you need to view a TV from the Morning Room, by another flatscreen. I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea this is. Usually the people who do it had NO other choice. The wall across from the window would be perfect for your setup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a Denon AVR-3808 and in my personal experience, Dynamic Volume has not made a big difference. To my daughters, volume level makes the most difference. Maybe is the fact that I mostly watch movies, where you don't have those annoying loud commercials.

Have you considered using headphones when the baby is sleeping? At low volume levels, the effect of a great AVR and speakers is diminished anyway. Not to mention that if the baby ever wakes up, even if you're listening at very low levels, you and your speakers are going to the dog house

1 - 8 of 8 Posts