AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January 2010 we purchased our first flat panel TV a Samsung UN55B8500 that both Leo Laporte and Scott Wikinson highly endorsed. The TV is connected through an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver that is less than 2 years old. For the first few years we were very impressed and happy with the Samsung TV. About 6-9 months ago we began experiencing some issues. At first the screen source would switch from the TV, Roku, WD TV live, Chromecast or whatever to either the TV setting or the TV source menu overlay would arbitrarily pop-up. Later the source changes would become more frequent, sometimes changing back to the original setting or sometimes require me to manually switch back.

Lately (within the past 3-4 months) not only has the frequency of occurrence increased but now the picture screen goes blank and no image at all appears. Typically when this occurs a rhythmic clicking can be heard inside the TV similar to an internal relay or solenoid. When I try to change the TV source or other function on the set it refuses to respond. My only option when this occurs is to unplug the TV and let it recovery which can take anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours. When I do plug the set back in it will boot-up as normal and may continue working for a while with the input source or the complete TV blackout issues reoccurring.

I've contacted a few repair ppl and their best guess is the power supply. But even they admit the power supply would only account for the black out and clicking symptoms but not the TV source change problem. All three repair centers have said the same thing that there is no diagnostic capability they could perform only replace the suspect components and hope for the best. Each want $85 (non-refundable) to come out plus about $400-$600 to replace the power supply. Naturally if the power supply is only partially the problem and a main board is require that would be another $625 - $750 - ouch!

My fear is that this will quickly escalate into a downward spiral of expenses and in the end I will be out some +$1000 for a 4 year set that is only worth maybe $500 (if lucky) and not be reliable for much longer. I'm trying to be philosophical about this but it's hard to ignore the fact that our old 32" Mitsubishi CRT TV lasted 18 years without a single problem...

Based on all this what is the consensus here... take a risk and try fixing this or just dump the set and move on?

BTW, just what do ppl do with old flat screens that are working reliably or at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back in January 2010 we purchased our first flat panel TV a Samsung UN55B8500 that both Leo Laporte and Scott Wikinson highly endorsed. The TV is connected through an Onkyo TX-NR818 receiver that is less than 2 years old. For the first few years we were very impressed and happy with the Samsung TV. About 6-9 months ago we began experiencing some issues. At first the screen source would switch from the TV, Roku, WD TV live, Chromecast or whatever to either the TV setting or the TV source menu overlay would arbitrarily pop-up. Later the source changes would become more frequent, sometimes changing back to the original setting or sometimes require me to manually switch back.

Lately (within the past 3-4 months) not only has the frequency of occurrence increased but now the picture screen goes blank and no image at all appears. Typically when this occurs a rhythmic clicking can be heard inside the TV similar to an internal relay or solenoid. When I try to change the TV source or other function on the set it refuses to respond. My only option when this occurs is to unplug the TV and let it recovery which can take anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours. When I do plug the set back in it will boot-up as normal and may continue working for a while with the input source or the complete TV blackout issues reoccurring.

I've contacted a few repair ppl and their best guess is the power supply. But even they admit the power supply would only account for the black out and clicking symptoms but not the TV source change problem. All three repair centers have said the same thing that there is no diagnostic capability they could perform only replace the suspect components and hope for the best. Each want $85 (non-refundable) to come out plus about $400-$600 to replace the power supply. Naturally if the power supply is only partially the problem and a main board is require that would be another $625 - $750 - ouch!

My fear is that this will quickly escalate into a downward spiral of expenses and in the end I will be out some +$1000 for a 4 year set that is only worth maybe $500 (if lucky) and not be reliable for much longer. I'm trying to be philosophical about this but it's hard to ignore the fact that our old 32" Mitsubishi CRT TV lasted 18 years without a single problem...

Based on all this what is the consensus here... take a risk and try fixing this or just dump the set and move on?

BTW, just what do ppl do with old flat screens that are working reliably or at all?

Thanks
Hows ur tv? Mine does the same... found a temp solution thats been working so far.. when u hear the clicks.. one of them is slightly higher pitched than the other.. after the higher pitch clicks, tap the back of your tv.. around 2 inches above the left screw.. not that hard of a tap that might break ur tv.. i use two fingers around that area and if u do it right.. u should see the led at the base start blinking again.. then it should load up... better than waiting 20 mins..

·
Registered
590 Posts

Thanks
The B model would have been a 2009 production model, if you put it on craigslist you would be lucky to get $200-250 in good condition, when people can buy a new 55" for a couple of hundred more. I wouldn't invest anything in a 6 yr old tv.
CRTs were a different animal i never bought and extended warranty on one of those but todays tv's i wont buy without an extended warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts