AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little advise please. I have a new HD ready tv and an old DVD player. (Sanyo using S-video output). The TV has internal line doubler and frame doubler, so my questions are: Is this the same as a "line quadrupler" I've heard about?

Would a different interlaced player with component output be noticably better?

And finally, would lower end progressive scan players be noticably better?

My remaining budget is very modest and I can't spend much on different player because a dish network 6000 is needed. I need to know if substantial resolution is to be gained on a differnt DVD player at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it is a gen 3 DVD player. (If not REAL old it is at least http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) You are basicly fine. Will you get more out of a $1200 DVD player. Yes. Will the SVideo and the h80 still look REAL nice. Yes.

If you have other things that need your money (food, alchol, DirecTivo, Toshiba HDTV Reciver) spend it on the other stuff... The dvd player that can do the progressive is really only a little better to most people (unless you need every damn pixel http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
695 Posts
Rick,

While noting Chris' opinion, I wanted to give you my experience. I have a Tosh TW56x81. When I first got the set, I was using an older Sony DVP301 dvd player. Shortly after I got the new tv, I picked up a Toshiba SD5109 progressive scan player and plugged it into the HD Colorstream inputs. I can definitely tell a big difference between s-video and progressive. Just putting up the Avia resolution pattern and switching between s-video and progressive (I have both outputs connected to my tv), the resolution difference is very noticeable.

If you watch a lot of DVD's, you may want to consider going to a progressive scan dvd. I also have a Dish 6000 and highly recommend it! But considering the amount of HDTV available right now, an investment in a dvd player might be a better use of your money. Just my thoughts, take 'em for what they're worth!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I also have a 40H80. I was using a Pioneer DVD player about 2-3 years old. It looked OK. I just recently bought a JVC XV-S65GD progressive DVD player. A real bargain at $250! It is noticably better in progressive mode. One nice feature is that it automatically adjusts 4x3 material and non-anamorphic DVDs so that there is no distorion that needs correction on the TV side. You just leave the TV in "full" mode and the DVD player corrects the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Same here with the new HDTV w/ internal line doubling for NTSC sources i.e. (Cable TV, S-Video DVD), DVD's looked worse than my old NTSC TV. After two months of staying away from DVD's completely I got a Toshiba 6200 progressive player, it was like night and day, finally I able to watch DVD's again.

I've been tooling around with a HTPC and watching DVD's @ 1920x1080i beats even the Toshiba 6200 for DVD reproduction. Anyone interested in buying a 3 month old Toshiba 6200?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Rick,

I all probability you television does not do "quadrupling." It changes the 480i signal to progressive (480p.) There are some boxes that perform their magic and pump a signal up to higher resolutions but they do cost as much as a good car. (30k plus.) Then one needs a display device with a very small and very quick moving focus. Another, even better, car.

The progressive DVD player uses about the same technology as your television to get a progressive signal. It may or may not do it better. The progresive DVD player has the advantage of working in the digital realm without one analog to digital to analog conversion and thus has an advantage. Buy somewhere that lets you try out the thing without risk. Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.