Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum so pardon me for asking newbie questions. =)

I've just started to look for an upgrade from my 27" SDTV to a plasma TV. Some models I have looked at are the Philips 42PF7320A (at Costco website), Panny 42PX50U, Panny 42PX500U, the Pioneer PDP-4350HD. and the 2 Sony 42" HD plasmas (one XBR, one non-XBR). I'm looking at an 8' viewing distance in my living room. I plan to get Comcast HDTV Digital cable, watch DVD's from a progressive scan DVD player, and hopefully play video games (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube as well as the next-gen machines coming out later this year and next year). An option to hook up to the PC would be nice too although that is not really necessary. I'm looking to spend around $3K or so.

I am just looking for recommendations in general re: the above HD plasma TV's. Also, I'm wondering if I should get it from a B&M store like BB, CC, or Costco or whether it's a good idea to consider online sources (and which are considered "reliable" online stores?) as well. Finally, just wondering if there are any recommendations on good value plasma TV cabinets for these 42" plasma TV's. Thanks a lot for any advice you can offer with regards to this tough choice.

Thanks everyone,

Andy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Boscov's is selling the Panasonic TH-42PX50U for [MSRP only please] right now.

You can get Sears to price-match plus an additional 10% off the difference. Sears' extended warranty is also pretty nice. It covers the set for up to 4 years, (full replacement, if necessary - which I don't think most places do) and you have a year to cancel the extended warranty and get your money back.

That being said, word has circulated the boards that these sets will see a major price reduction close to the end of August.

The Panny plasma absolutely produces the best-looking picture on the market right now. If I had the money, I'd buy one. But it looks like I'm gonna have to wait. The Philips also seems like a good value but the picture, IMO, doesn't come close to the Panny.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Moderator:

Forum rules: MSRP only/ no retail links

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm going to wait on the Panasonic price drop for now. I just saw the Pioneer 4312 in Costco and it looks pretty sweet too. Decisions, decisions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.