AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We're building a new home and I'm a novice at surround sound setup, but I would like the option to learn more and get started with it. The contractors suggested inwall speaker setup and talked about the positions they believe be the best. I was wondering if I can get some opinions on that others think.


They suggested putting two in the walls on the right and two ceilings ones. I drew in the the most likely place for our TV when we move in. Any advice would be appreciated.




Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,086 Posts
I don't think your contractor knows a damn thing about setting up speakers.


What is an "inline speaker setup?"


"They suggested putting two in the walls on the right" of what? To the right of the tv is a gas fireplace. To the left of the tv is a seat. By the way, putting a tv that close to a significant source of heat is a bad idea. All the heat radiating from the fireplace will bake the tv.


Where in the ceiling do they suggest putting the "two ceilings ones?"


Where do you plan to put the seats to watch tv?


Your best bet would be to place the tv along the wall opposite the fireplace with the couch pulled away from the wall the fireplace is on. You could wall mount the tv and wall mount a small L/C/R speaker setup with it and mount ceiling speakers (I am assuming the ceiling is flat) behind the couch and to either side of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Most likely we won't be turning on the fire place at all and just there for show.. The cable has already been added in the corner for the TV..


They're going to be putting in cable ontop of the fireplace if we ever wanted to flat screen there..


Sorry, I might have mis-type the term.. I guess I meant in-wall speakers.


I revised the pic to show were most likely our couches will fit from our existing place and circled where we talked about putting the in-wall speakers..

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,086 Posts
If that is where you plan on putting your couches and tv and that is where they suggest putting the speakers, your contractors are idiots!


Do you normally watch tv and listen to the sound coming from above you and off to the side? I don't nor does anyone I know.


You need to re-think your room layout along the lines I suggested otherwise you will hate what you end up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,317 Posts
Looking at the drawing... there is a blank wall to the right that will accommodate your three front speakers, a TV, and even an entertainment rack. Perhaps you could then mount the two surrounds on either side of the fireplace. As for the two sofa's, you already have one of them in the right place (the one that has the word "living" written on it). Simply turn the other sofa so that both face each other with a coffee table in the middle. Now anyone seated on either sofa can look to the right and left and see both focal points, the TV and the fireplace. (The TV and fireplace are on opposite walls)

You won't want the fireplace on while watching TV however. You'll see it's reflection in the TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/16991478


Looking at the drawing... there is a blank wall to the right that will accommodate your three front speakers, a TV, and even an entertainment rack. Perhaps you could then mount the two surrounds on either side of the fireplace. As for the two sofa's, you already have one of them in the right place (the one that has the word "living" written on it). Simply turn the other sofa so that both face each other with a coffee table in the middle. Now anyone seated on either sofa can look to the right and left and see both focal points, the TV and the fireplace. (The TV and fireplace are on opposite walls)

You won't want the fireplace on while watching TV however. You'll see it's reflection in the TV.

That's exactly what I told him. Now maybe he will listen. Its obvious the the places the contractor considers to be the "best" places for speakers are the easiest places for them to install them. Certainly not the best for sound, surround or otherwise. No surround format, or even stereo for that matter, will work with the layout the contractor suggests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi. Thanks for the posts. It's not that I'm not listening, but trying to figure out how to best place everything and now is the time to make my changes before the dry wall goes up..


So let's say I put the TV on the opposide side of the fireplace and put the 3 front speakers there, would there any good place to place any wall or ceiling speakers as they've already done some drilling and work and don't think I can get it refunded..

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSolaris /forum/post/16991758


Hi. Thanks for the posts. It's not that I'm not listening, but trying to figure out how to best place everything and now is the time to make my changes before the dry wall goes up..


So let's say I put the TV on the opposide side of the fireplace and put the 3 front speakers there, would there any good place to place any wall or ceiling speakers as they've already done some drilling and work and don't think I can get it refunded..

Thanks

1. Place the tv on the right hand wall directly opposite the fireplace.


2. Place the front left and right speakers on either side of the tv at least one foot away from the tv. Use either on-wall or in-wall speakers if you don't want to user floorstanders.


3. Place the center channel speaker immediately below the tv. Use a similar type speaker as you used for the L/Rs, either on-wall, in-wall, or separate on a rack.


4. Move the other couch as Espo77 suggested. Place two ceiling speakers toward the left hand wall and on either side of the fireplace about mid-way along the length of the two couches and slightly outside the total width of the two if possible. These will be your left and right side surrounds.


5. Place two on-wall or in-wall speakers on either side of the fireplace and about 2-3 feet above the ears of the seated listeners. Place these a little closer together (maybe a foot or two) than the spacing between the two ceiling speakers.


6. Add a powered subwoofer near the corner below the right front speaker for the LFE channel.


7. Voila! You have a very good 7.1 channel speaker setup.


8. Buy a good AVR to drive all these speakers, preferably one with Audyssey room correction. I have an Onkyo TX-SR706 (replaced by the TX-SR707) that I love and a good Blu-Ray player. I have the Panasonic DMP-BD35 (Replaced by the DMP-BD60).


Let me know when you are finished and I will come over and watch "IRONMAN" with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Going to contact them next week to make those changes.. I checked the wiring so far and seems like the junction box will be in the lower left corners.. Going to see if there's enough wire to thread it to the other side of the seat windows.. How high is acceptable? I'm not sure if there's enough wiring to go all the way down to the baseboards..


Also, if I really want them to put the junction box on the wall were the TV will be, is it ok to extend the length of the speaker wires?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSolaris /forum/post/16997661


Ok. Going to contact them next week to make those changes.. I checked the wiring so far and seems like the junction box will be in the lower left corners.. Going to see if there's enough wire to thread it to the other side of the seat windows.. How high is acceptable? I'm not sure if there's enough wiring to go all the way down to the baseboards..


Also, if I really want them to put the junction box on the wall were the TV will be, is it ok to extend the length of the speaker wires?

Thanks

Not sure I understand.


What is this junction box you are talking about?


How high is what acceptable?


I don't understand how they are planning on running the wiring. What wire is going down to the baseboards?


What gauge speaker wire are they planning on running? I would recommend nothing less than 14 gauge wire.


Where are you planning on locating your AVR?


Does your contractor really know anything about installing a system such as this? Based on their speaker location recommendations I have my doubts.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top