AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

All-

I am in the process of setting up a new area as a media room.  So far, I have purchased a new projector (BenQ 1070), receiver (Yamaha RX-V375) and am now in search of the proper speakers to use with my room configuration.  I'm looking for a 5.1 setup that works best for my room.

In the picture I've attached, you'll see that the room is 21ft x 12ft.  Also, the right wall has a doorway, along with an open area at the back with a bar.  As a result, it does not appear there is adequate space to properly mount the rear surround speakers on the right side wall above the sitting area.  I am therefore looking for the best option for mounting speakers in the rear of the room behind the sitting area (indicated by the "bipole?" boxes).  Given my lack of knowledge/experience with speakers in general, I'm trying to get a new 5.1 set that is under $500 and includes a powered subwoofer. 

While I'm pretty sure what I need for the front/center/subwoofer, it's the rear surrounds that are confusing to me.  I'm not sure whether I should be using traditional surround (front-firing?) or something like a bipole that fires in multiple directions.  Also, looking for some recommendations for price-conscious speakers that would include front/center/sub/rear speakers (under $500).

Thanks in advance!  Let me know if you need me to clarify any areas of the room space that aren't clear on the picture.

-MC

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchicken  /t/1519991/help-with-5-1-system-setup-bipole-candidate-or-something-else#post_24412731

While I'm pretty sure what I need for the front/center/subwoofer, it's the rear surrounds that are confusing to me.  I'm not sure whether I should be using traditional surround (front-firing?) or something like a bipole that fires in multiple directions.  Also, looking for some recommendations for price-conscious speakers that would include front/center/sub/rear speakers (under $500).

With only $500 for the whole setup, you might as well skip the bipole idea. Bipoles could consume much of your budget.

The Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers are a set to consider, assuming you can catch the speakers on sale.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6  /t/1519991/help-with-5-1-system-setup-bipole-candidate-or-something-else#post_24416063

Can you up your budget?

Save some extra money by car pooling, brown bagging, eating at home and etc?

That is a pretty small budget for a space that size.

BTW, do you live near a Fry's?
I live by virtually every major electronics retailer.  As for the budget, I recently bought a home and am a little house poor at the moment.  However, I'd like to see what I can creatively do with my limited budget.  I've got a set of 5 Sony speakers w/ subwoofer that are about 10 yrs old that I'm currently using with my new Yamaha RX-V375 receiver.  The sound quality is a huge bump up so far from my 10yr old Sony receiver which had no HDMI inputs.

At this point, I might just go with some new speakers for the rear of my space.  Looking at the picture I put together above, could anyone recommend the type of speakers I should use in this space?  I am unable to mount the speakers 2-3 feet above my ears to the left and right of my sitting area, so I'm choosing to have rear-mounted surround speakers instead for my 5.1 design.  For the front speakers, I'll use my existing Sony set, but think I need to get something a bit better for the rear speakers and was considering a bipole option.  I had seen some in the ~$200 range for a set of two, so I was looking for feedback on what folks thought about having bipoles configured like this in this space.

Would be great to have a few opinions from some of the audio experts in this forum.  Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts