AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay total newb so go easy on me!!

Okay all I want to do is have my music from my computer available in the 6 main zones in my house. All 6 zones will get the same source - i don't need to have different stuff playing in different areas. I want to have a pair of speakers in each zone. So i am assuming i need a 12-channel 6-zone amp correct ?

Using google I found all types of results.

Would this do the trick ? 12-Channel Amp

I also found this: 12-Channel Amp Kit

I am really not a fan of the $1k price tag of that second one. Then I go to amazon and find this: Amazon Amplifier (Only $65!)

Can someone point me in the right direction here and let me know what I need. It would be a goal of mine to at least control the volume in each zone.

Perfect situation would be able to control the functions of my computer from each zone but thats pushing it i'm sure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The "Amazon amplifier" is not an amplifier. It is a speaker selector.

The "12 Channel amp kit" would be unnecessary unless you wanted to play different sources in different zones.

You can either get a receiver and a speaker selector like the one from amazon or a multi channel amplifier. You will need volume controls if you want to control volume individually for each zone.

"Perfect situation would be able to control the functions of my computer from each zone but thats pushing it i'm sure."

Not sure this is possible unless you want to spend more money. Someone might have an idea.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
If you have a PPC or PDA cellphone, you can easily control music playback from any zone. I know netremote can do this, not sure if you'd need girder or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess my question would next be - it looked like the speaker selector from amazon was a piece of crap for being so cheap. would the sound quality be alright - if i already have a receiver and just hooked up that speaker selector to get 6 sets of speakers hooked up ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Question is, can you drive all the channels at the same time with that speaker selector. Most likely not. The other thing is that how do you plan on controlling the volume of each zone independently? Most likely you will have to have volume control pots in each room.

As for how to control the computer, you could use Xlobby, a PPC, and Xlobby's Xnet thin client/server approach. Works a charm. Check it out here: www.xlobby.com

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvthsgam /forum/post/0

yes that is my question to anyone out there. would that speaker selector from amazon allow me to drive all the speakers at once? and would the sound quality still be decent.

thanks!

If it is impedance matching as the specs say then yes you would be able to turn on all six zones....There would be no reason to have impedance matching circuitry otherwise.

You won't be able to independently adjust volume in each zone and the resultant volume will rely on the volume setting of your receiver. Also, depending on the impedance matching circuitry, your volume to each zone may be affected as you turn other zones on/off as you will be affecting the overall watts available to each speaker set. Lastly, you'll have to make sure that your receiver is capable of handling six speakers at 20W each (good amount for ambient music), so your receiver would need 120W per channel plus a little more for the inefficiencies of the impedance matching. That's assuming you will play all six zones at once at higher volumes.

If you want to adjust the volume independently to each zone, you'll need volume controls. Most come with their own impedance matching, so your switch becomes a little useless at that point.

As for sound quality, it's anyone's guess. All depends on the quality of the impedence matching circuitry/autotransformers in the selector.

If you google Groups for Pheonix Gold Ism-6 you'll find a few discussions on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.