Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about slowly slipping into spearates for our home theater sound, need some advice on models and companies. Here's our current setup:

* 4 JBL S36 for front/rear.

* 1 JBL Sii Center

* HK 520 receiver

Since the JBLs rate to 150 watts or so, I was thinking about looking at that range for an amp and use the HK 520 as a pre/pro for a while. Not really interested in 7.1 sound as our room can't support it and I can also add another 2 ch for front LR later and get 7.1 setup.

Anyway, these are the reasonably priced amps I have stumbled across so far, pretty much

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
First, the 520 has a pretty decent little amp. I believe the 520 was measured at 74 watts per channel. While your speakers are rated at handling up to 150, if you aren't clipping your amp, then by having 150 watts, all you have done is add 76 more watts that you aren't using.

If you put a power meter on your system, you might be surprised to learn that you rarely use more than 10-20 watts per channel (especially if you are using a powered sub and your speakers are set to "small." Unless you really crank it to high volumes or have them in a large room.

If you are cranking them up and either clipping the amp or in fear of clipping it and damaging your speakers, then the two amps you've mentioned are good ones. You could also look for a Parasound HCA-1205. Outlaw has a good deal on their 7100, which is 7x100. But that doesn't add much above what you already have.

The strong point of the 520 was its amp section, which was very good in its price range.

Frankly, unless I had good reason to believe I needed more power (in your shoes), I would set the money aside for other upgrades - or other hobbies.

Tom B.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Just a note: You have to double amp power to get a noticeable difference, and a ten-fold increase to double apparent loudness. If you don't at least double power, it's a waste of money to upgrade.

Clipping is more likely do damage speakers (especially tweeters, because of the high-frequency noise bursts produced by a square wave, which a clipped wave resembles) than overpowering is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.