Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help.

I currently have a house with a dedicated HT in it, that my wife and I both love. Unfortunatly we are having to sell the house and move. We don't have the time to wait and have a house built, so we are having to look at existing homes. Finding an existing home with a room that will work as a HT has proven to be quite dificult.

We did find a house that we like, and is on 4.5 acres (great for the daughter). However, it doesn't have a HT, or any room that could really be one.

The way the house is setup I could put a door in the formal dining room that goes into the current two car garage. My thought is to convert the garage into a HT. I would like to be able to put in a decent sized HT, a wet bar/lobby area (doesn't need to be very big), and have room for a media closet to put everything in.

This is a standard size (not sure exactly what that is) two car garage. My question is, does anyone have any experience in converting a garge into a dedicated HT? I will hire subs to finish (stone) the exterior of the house where the garage doors currently are, and then frame the room(s) in the garage. I will likely do some of the finish work myself.

Thanks,

-Dan

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you have 4.5 acres, you have plenty of room to build a detached garage if you convert the current garage into an HT. Of course, you could also leave the garage alone and build a stand-alone entertainment building that could have a exercise room, bar, pool table/gaming area, etc AND an HT. That way, you would never have to worry about the party sounds and/or HT boom disturbing anyone's sleep and every time you go to the "entertainment building", it's kinda like "going out". Although I've done some remodeling to build an HT in our home, we are planning on building an entertainment building in the future that could also serve as a pool house... it's all just about time and money...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.