AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into a HK DVD22 player to match my HK AVR235 receiver, but someone suggested I save the $ and get a Philips progressive scan for around $70.

The Philips I found isn't DTS and Dolby compatible. I'm all for saving the money but not really sure what a good player is that will give me those options and also play any sort of media I shove in there.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have no idea exactly what you need, since I dont know anything about an HK 234,are you looking for a player with a built-in DD/DTS decoder and obviously then 5.1 outputs to go into an older av reciever that doesnt do its own decoding, but has 5.1 inputs? If your receiver does DD/DTS decoding and I misunderstood your post, then almost any player with a digital output will work fine...except for a very few players that do not even pass DTS, but there cant be many current models that do that anymore.

I highyl recommend something like Pioneer DV-285, Pioneer DV-578/588..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops..meant the AVR235...it's new...so if the receiver decodes it (DTS), i only need digital output on the player?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Every dvd player out right now that I'm aware of has either (or both) a digital coax or optical audio output that will send out a dolby digital or dts signal. You only need a dvd player with a built in dolby digital and/or dts decoder if your receiver is not able to decode it (almost every 5.1 capable receiver today usually supports dts/dd including the hk 235).

·
Registered
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
except for a very few players that do not even pass DTS, but there cant be many current models that do that anymore.
Every DVD player currently on the market will pass both Dolby Digital and DTS through the digital output. It was only first-generation units from 1997 that weren't compatible with DTS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The rumors that I have always heard is that its sometimes better to use the sound decoders in the receivers than the players. In other words just use the optical plug (or whatever) out of the player and let the receiver do its thing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjllewellyn
The rumors that I have always heard is that its sometimes better to use the sound decoders in the receivers than the players. In other words just use the optical plug (or whatever) out of the player and let the receiver do its thing.
Yes - I think I read this somewhere too but I forgot which forum although some say that if the decoder in the DVD is better (how to find out I don't have a clue), use it instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.