AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just got my first RPTV (Pioneeer SD-643HD5) and am looking to upgrade my Toshiba SD-3109.

I like the SD-3109 except for the fact that it can't play CD-R's or CD-RW's.

I've been looking at the Pioneer DV-47A (as many of you have) but can't see the point in dropping $800 - $1000.00 for some features that I won't use as much at the moment (DVD-A and SCAD) although the 47-A does have higher quality DACS.

So I'm wondering if I get the Toshiba SD-4700 ($250.00 at CC) and maybe put off the 47-A until next year when I upgrade my Yamaha RX-V995 to the Pioneer VSX-49TX.

I've read some post here on the 4700 and would like to hear from some users who have it connected to a similar setup as mine.

Thanks in advance

Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a 3109 that I wanted to upgrade to get progressive scan for my Mits 55" HDTV. I bought a Pioneer Elite DV-C36 changer and have used that for awhile. It worked great, but it's not true progressive in that it doesn't do 3:2 pulldown. I have it hooked up to an Elite 26TX receiver that will be replaced sometime soon.

Seeing that DVD player technology was changing fast and not really having a real need for DVD-A or SACD at this time, I was trying to find something that didn't cost a lot and then I could upgrade without losing much sometime in the next year. Went to BB and bought a 4700 right around this past New Years. First 2 or 3 discs played okay. Then tried playing 2 unopened discs and NOTHING! Wouldn't play either one. Put them both in the DV-C36 and they worked fine. Made a trip back to BB and got my $ back.

I have had problems with the 3109 at times not reading the disc, which is another reason I wanted to find another player. It seems as if Toshiba has some firmware issues with some players. I'm sure that you will find plenty of people that like their 4700/5700, but you can also find enough people that have seen the same issues as I have to know that there are some problems out there.

The dilemma is that in this price range, in order to get decent progressive scan, there are not a lot of choices that don't have some kind of issue. There are a lot of Panny rp56 owners that love their players, and they do appear to do well with progressive output, but on this board alone there are several theads regarding problems with that model, plus it is being replaced and the rp56 is out of production as I understand it. The rp56 also only has an optical audio output, which I didn't like, as I like to use coax to my receiver.

I will tell you that the Pioneer units seem to be the most reliable and have the least amount of disc read issues, but they don't make any cheap progressive machines that are true progressive. The only true ones are in the Elite line, which are at another price level.

You can find some Sony models that are decent for less than $300. I was lucky and bought a Philips Q50 @ CC for $300. After updating the firmware, I do not have 1 issue with the machine and it gives an outstanding picture.

I would suggest either waiting for a few months when some of the newer models come out or taking a chance and finding a good buy on something now without sinking a lot of money into it. You do want to get a true progressive player to take advantage of your new TV.

Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I was just on the phone w/the local Pioneer Authorized Dealer and he was trying to sell me the DV-C36. I asked him about the 3-2 pull down and 4:4:4 sampling and he said he didn't know if it had it.

I wanted the DV-37 but Pioneer discontinued it.

Alot of what you wrote is true. I'm starting to think that if you pay close to $4000.00 for a RPTV then you will need to spend at least a third of that to get decent quality out of a DVD Player.

One thing I will say for the DV-47A is that you get 3 years of firmware updates. That should protect your investment somewhat.

I can't think of many other formats that are emerging (audio or video) in that time span.

Sometimes it all seems like a gimmick. 5:1, 6:1, now 7:1. SACD, DVD-A christ when will it ever end.

If they allow downstreaming video to your home you won't ever see the inside of a movie theater again.

Cheers

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have a RCA RC6000P progressive Scan that I got as my rebate for buying F-38310 1 year ago. I have just found a region 1 to 0...1 at a time remote control hack. I have it set now R2, for DVD Changers I have Sony CX-860 300, and CX-850 200, I would say that now that I have a region code progressive scan DVP I am all set. I also can input all 3 into my single Y-Pr-Pb component input, plus one more for HTPC whenever I get around to it. I am using converted InlineInc IN3504 for 4 to 1 switching device. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.