AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build my own htpc. I will only use it to play dvd's that I have stored on a hard drive and I would like to be able to have a hd tv tuner on it. I am hooking it up to a onkyo 674 receiver and a 50" samsung plasma. Any suggestions on components would be greatly appreciated. As of right now I have been looking at the ABIT IL-90MV Socket 478 Intel 945GT Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, but I am not locked on this. My budget is under $800. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
step one: purchase and install Windows Media Center Edition 2005 w/ Rollup 2

step two: download and install www.mymovies.name

step three: purchase and install www.theatertek.com

MCE will be the glue that holds everything together, it'll be your PVR application, it can do SD and over the air HD, then install the my movies plugin which will catalog and organize all your ripped dvd's into a nice easy to use thumb nail interface within MCE, then finally you need a better DVD application as well as a Mpeg decoder to get the tuner cards to work and thats where theatertek comes into play, the MCE dvd app is ok, its basically just windows media player, but theatertek is more robust and still easy to use and comes with the nvidia pure video dvd decoders needed to make your tuner cards to work as well as needed for dvd playback.

- Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I am looking at what type of case, motherboard, and processor, that would be needed to run this htpc. I will not be playing any games on it. Any information on this would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
do you plan on dabbleing with HD DVD or Blu-ray dvd playback on the setup at all? If so I'd say for one thing get a video card that supports HDCP, Nvidia is my fav.

Then for CPU, Intel Core 2 Duo

Mobo, any intel chip based, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte all good choices

as far as a case what ever floats your boat, just make sure if you buy one with a PSU in it, make sure is powerfull enough and is a decent one, any of the popular brand names like Antec will be a good start.

- Josh

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx /forum/post/0

step one: purchase and install Windows Media Center Edition 2005 w/ Rollup 2

step two: download and install www.mymovies.name

step three: purchase and install www.theatertek.com

MCE will be the glue that holds everything together, it'll be your PVR application, it can do SD and over the air HD, then install the my movies plugin which will catalog and organize all your ripped dvd's into a nice easy to use thumb nail interface within MCE, then finally you need a better DVD application as well as a Mpeg decoder to get the tuner cards to work and thats where theatertek comes into play, the MCE dvd app is ok, its basically just windows media player, but theatertek is more robust and still easy to use and comes with the nvidia pure video dvd decoders needed to make your tuner cards to work as well as needed for dvd playback.

- Josh

need help with my HTPC too

Mymovies 2 seems to be pretty hot, but when I try to load it up, it takes forever, and looks like crap (I'm at 1920x1080p) Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I own Nvidia Purevideo, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Theatertek.. For the best PQ at 1080p, which should I use, or in what combination?

If you know how to get DVDs on Hard Drive working in MCE WITHOUT My Movies, Please clue me in... I tried just having a Folder with VIDEO_TS in it, but MCE opens the folder and says there are no movies inside

Thanks

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbop15 /forum/post/0

need help with my HTPC too

Mymovies 2 seems to be pretty hot, but when I try to load it up, it takes forever, and looks like crap (I'm at 1920x1080p) Am I doing something wrong?

Not really sure whats going on, make sure your actually sending a 1080p signal and not a 1080i signal.

Quote:
Also, I own Nvidia Purevideo, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Theatertek.. For the best PQ at 1080p, which should I use, or in what combination?

Don't run more than one dvd decoder, and if your running pure video and theatertek your just doing crap twice, which is pointless.

I'd say uninstall everything and then only install theatertek that way you only have one instance of pure video installed and no other mpeg decoders installed.

Quote:
If you know how to get DVDs on Hard Drive working in MCE WITHOUT My Movies, Please clue me in... I tried just having a Folder with VIDEO_TS in it, but MCE opens the folder and says there are no movies inside

Thanks

Not sure how your trying to back up your DVD's but I just use dvd decryptor and it works fine.

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
file

- Josh

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:

file

- Josh

how does TheaterTek+MCE2005 feel about VIDEO_TS folders that have been run through DVD Shrink, to pull out the bare movie without menus and crap?

also, do VIDEO_TS folders only work with theatretek or with nvidia pure on its own?

I know that PowerDVD+MCE2005 does not recognize VIDEO_TS folders

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am considering this route as well, but adding AnyDVD, I heard with it running, you can setup prefs and upon inserting a disc, it automatically copies it to the HDD, with the prefs you specified, i.e. movie only, english audio only etc etc

can anyone confirm this

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
well I can't answer any of those questions as when I rip a DVD i do the FULL dvd I don't cut anything out.

bgbop15,

If you look at the files in your folders, are they JUST .vob's? or do they also have the ifo files and all that? The problem I think your having is that DVD shrink if you do the "rip only the movie" part within its program you cutting out the file structure windows needs to play back the files. IFO files are needed, they are pointers that powerdvd, theatertek, ect... need to play back the dvd properly.

The proper way to do this would be Rip the DVD if you want to cut down its file size is first rip the DVD in ISO format in full length, then use DVD shrink to cut down its file size, but if you rip a dvd with the main movie function only your missing out on the necessary files you need for the DVD structure to play it back correctly, I think thats where your problems are happening.

As far as AnyDVD auto ripping DVD's I am not sure it will do that. I do know you can rip the whole DVD to the HDD with Anydvd, I just preffer DVD decryptor better. But what AnyDVD does, is that if your playing a DVD in your PC, you can set it to skip all the intro's and menu's and go stright to the movie, that is really the main reason I use AnyDVD is that I can just pop a dvd in and it just starts playing right at the begining of the movie with no hassles of intro's and main menu's.

And yes anydvd will run in MCE, MCE is just windows, nothing more, MCE is just a small peice added to windows.

- Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the mobo I am looking at is any good, the abit 90ml. It is the one with hdmi and has audio. Yes I want to have blu ray or hddvd in the future so, are you saying I will need a separated video card or are there video cards that are on the mobo that have what I need

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
well if it supports HDCP then it might, I can't say for sure. I haven't looked at new hardware in a while so can't say specifically what it can and can not do.

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0

Can media player classic be used as a player in MCE.

If so, how do I set this up as default player?

Thanks

install my movies, then you have to manually edit the config files in my movies directory and point it to media player classic.

go to the my movies forum to get info on what files to edit.

- Josh

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:

Don't run more than one dvd decoder, and if your running pure video and theatertek your just doing crap twice, which is pointless.

I'd say uninstall everything and then only install theatertek that way you only have one instance of pure video installed and no other mpeg decoders installed.

- Josh

So you just install theatertek, no fiddling with Dscaler, ffdshow, ac3filter, etc?

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
well Dscaler and AC3filter yes, I still run FFDshow for post processing.

Theatertek comes with Nvidia Pure Video mpeg decoders, which takes the place of Dscaler and AC3filter.

When it comes to MCE less is more, the simpler the better. The less codecs, the less software, ect... you run the smoother, more reliable the HTPC will be.

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
if your running an nvidia card no need to enable the post processing. as its built into hardware.

but you can enable ffdshow if you want and play around with post processing with ffdshow.

- Josh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.