AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these threads get a mixed bag of responses...

I recently sold my 2000 Harley Night Train for 12K. I am going to take that full 12K and completely upgrade my home theater.

My current HDTV was my first foray into HD sets. It's a Sony KDF-46E2000.

Side note: My wife is severely disabled from a car accident. I'm her sole caregiver so we are stuck inside 95% of the time. I had to leave the Army in order to take care of her and now work from home. Movies and gamming have become our primary form of entertainment due to her limitations. Our main TV set is literary on 24/7. I was really concerned about how long a HDTV would last under those conditions. Almost 2 years after buying the Sony, I haven't had a single issue OR have I had to even replace the lamp.

From my research, I've narrowed my choice down to two sets: Samsung LN52A650 and Sony 2008 XBR 8-Series (coming this fall).

The use for this set is a mixed bag. Whereas I want high performance for Sports and Gamming, my wife mainly watches SD content during the day. Movies would be both of us. Right now I don't have a Blu-ray player and have been told to wait till the new models come out later in the year due to current players not supporting some features. I admittedly don't know much about Blu-ray players. So standard DVD picture is a concern.

With my Sony KDF-46E2000, I have been very happy with DVD quality. Just using a mid-range Sony DVD player (not even up-converting).

Gaming has been great on it with no noticeable lag.

My main gripe is sporting events were I get pixilation during fast moving scenes. This could be part signal though. Overall I've been very pleased with my Sony.

I was hoping the draw from the expertise of the posters here as to which one might be the better set for me.

The big upside to the Samsung is it's available now and it's in the size I prefer, that being 52".

I've always owned Sony TV's so I've gotten really used to their settings and options. Familiarity giving a plus here.

I was all set on buying the Samsung until I read some article about how Sony's Trilumions three-color LED backlight technology is supposed to provide the deepest black levels and best picture to date.

4 HDMI ports is a must. (DirecTV, Xbox, Blu-ray, PS3)

I really want to get the best LCD out there around 52". I would say $4,000 is my top price but from my research, I should be able to get the pick of the litter for that.

Which set do you guys believe is the best between these two or is there an even better set I've missed?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
Doesn't Sony still use Samsung panels?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't know.

So there's no real popular opinion as to whether or not the Sony XBR 8 will have a better PQ than the Samsung LN52A650?

Isn't the Samsung A650 pretty much regarded as the best HD LCD set out there right now?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts