AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I don't know a lot about audio gear. Here's my dilemma.

I presently own a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. It drives Paradigm Reference speakers (Studio 20's & CC-570) and for surrounds I am using Paradigm CS Series in-wall speakers. I also have Sonance Mariner speakers for my Zone B patio.

I recently replaced my old Samsung DLP with an LG 55LA7400. The new TV is 1080p while the receiver supports only 720p and 1080i. So, while the picture on the TV is pretty good, I guess I'm not getting the best picture I can get if my receiver doesn't support 1080p. Correct? Also, while I haven't yet tried any 3D media, I am guessing that I will not get a good 3D picture (or maybe none at all) with the RX-V2600 since it doesn't support 3D. Correct?

So, I am interested in replacing the receiver but I'm trying not to spend "an arm and a leg." I am partial to Yamaha products. So, I was considering the Yamaha Aventage RX-A720 which is affordable at $649 but my local Yamaha dealer/installer is trying to get me to buy the RX-A1020 ($1,099), which is, power-wise and weight-wise, more comparable to my RX-V2600. He says that, given the power of the RX-V2600, if I get an RX-A720, I would be "going from a Lexis to a Toyota." He says there would be a noticeable difference in sound quality compared to my current receiver.

So, is the Yamaha salesman correct? In order to get the quality sound that I am used to, must I spend over a thousand dollars? Am I doomed to unsatisfying sound with a $649 RX-A720?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
No it won’t be a step down in sound quality. I have the same speakers except mini monitors as surrounds and the receiver I use doesn't make a big difference until you get into room correction. That was the only difference I heard going from a Denon 1507 to a 3311 was adding Audyssey MultEq XT. The basic sound before that was exactly the same. The 3311 should have much better amps but it didn't make a difference in sound quality. I will say my room is small but the difference in power when you step up to higher end receiver doesn’t make much of a difference. 30 or 40 watts won’t make much of a difference. I'm sure you’re using a powered sub with the 20s so that makes the load even easier on the receiver. The salesman is just trying to up sell you to higher in model.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymit  /t/1470743/help-with-a-new-receiver#post_23263753

Let me start by saying that I don't know a lot about audio gear. Here's my dilemma.

I presently own a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. It drives Paradigm Reference speakers (Studio 20's & CC-570) and for surrounds I am using Paradigm CS Series in-wall speakers. I also have Sonance Mariner speakers for my Zone B patio.

I recently replaced my old Samsung DLP with an LG 55LA7400. The new TV is 1080p while the receiver supports only 720p and 1080i. So, while the picture on the TV is pretty good, I guess I'm not getting the best picture I can get if my receiver doesn't support 1080p. Correct? Also, while I haven't yet tried any 3D media, I am guessing that I will not get a good 3D picture (or maybe none at all) with the RX-V2600 since it doesn't support 3D. Correct?
Just get a Oppo BDP-103. Run HDMI-1 to your display, and HDMI-2 to your Yamaha RX-V2600. There you don't need to replace your AVR for watching 3D media. The BD player has two HDMI inputs in case your need to use a set-top-box. You should be able to also have a cable/satellite set-top-box going to the HDTV and HDMI out from HDTV going to the RX-V2600 as a another hook up for watching TV.

Could also get by with a cheaper Sony BDPS790 as it also has dual HDMI outputs for splitting video to HDTV and audio to the legacy AVR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts