AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Anthem MRX720 | Golden Ear Triton Five
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
80% Home theater and Gaming 20% music. Currently using an Anthem MRX 720 with Golden Ear Triton 5s, supercenter x, and super sat 3s. Seating will be about 10 ft back from the projector screen.

The Triton 5s sound great but definitely lacking on the low end. I am guessing eventually I will need 2 subs since the room is so large and the middle is definitely a null spot. I don’t want to 2 massive boxes in the room, so aesthetics are important. Initially was thinking HSU VTF3 MK5, but I don’t don’t like the aesthetics so maybe a uls-15 mk2. I have considered everything from dual SVS Pb1000s to a single Paradigm Defiance x15/x12. I know the ID subs are a better value, but I like the idea of an app and ARC.

If I already have ARC with my receiver, does it make sense on the sub? If not I can probably rule out the Defiance subs.

What would you all suggest in this situation? I really want a true “Movie Theatre” feel with accurate, well blended bass. 2 smaller subs or start with 1 15? I’ve gone down the rabbit hole...

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,538 Posts
Another vote for a large ported. TV3612 is a hell of an option.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
I recommend the ported Rythmik FV15HP to start with, and then think about adding a second when funds permit.

·
Registered
11,500 Posts
First, get your seating out of the center of the room. Your seated ears should be at some odd percentage of the room's length and width, like 2/3 or 4/9ths. Avoid 1/4 or 1/2. As you say, the center can be a null, and no app can fix that, only positioning. Also, since the room is 20x20, you will want to use two lesser subs vs one larger sub, to help combat the room modes associated with a square room.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Large room = ported subs. For a "true 'Movie Theatre' feel", definitely go dual. If you want compact, consider the PowerSoundAudio (PSA) V1512DF ($1,150, shipped). You don't need ARC on the subs since your AVR has it.
Seems like PSA subs are highly recommended around here. However, I can’t really find any reviews on them anywhere, what makes them stand out? I could start with one, but I’m sure I’ll eventually need two. How does the V1512DF compare to the hsu uls-15 mk2? I’m guessing no one will think the defiance line is worth it...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, get your seating out of the center of the room. Your seated ears should be at some odd percentage of the room's length and width, like 2/3 or 4/9ths. Avoid 1/4 or 1/2. As you say, the center can be a null, and no app can fix that, only positioning. Also, since the room is 20x20, you will want to use two lesser subs vs one larger sub, to help combat the room modes associated with a square room.
Problem with seating is we are using a projector so going to be hard to move seating out of the middles. Could make the seating in the back 2/3 or so but the majority of the seats will be toward the middle. Are they any treatments I could do to the room?

Which 2 subs would you suggest? I could go for a PSA 15 but I feel like ill need two. And two of those would be 2500ish. I was thinking more 1500 totaL, which is why I was thinking the ULS oh maybe even dual SVS pb2000 pros...

·
Registered
11,500 Posts
Did not address the subs because you have aesthetic concerns that I cannot address without understanding them.

As to seating, if you can't get the seats out of the 1/2 position in both dimensions, at least get it out in one dimension. A move of as little as 6" can have a serious impact on the sound you hear. Also , be sure your rear seats are not at 3/4 room length ... to be avoided.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did not address the subs because you have aesthetic concerns that I cannot address without understanding them.

As to seating, if you can't get the seats out of the 1/2 position in both dimensions, at least get it out in one dimension. A move of as little as 6" can have a serious impact on the sound you hear. Also , be sure your rear seats are not at 3/4 room length ... to be avoided.
My concerns are just that some of the HSU subs look massive and I’d prefer not have 2 giant black boxes. But I think any ported 15 will be large, so may need to accept it.

I’m going to best buy later and I’ll pick up an SVS sb2000 pro just to test. I could either get 2 ~$800 subs now or a more expensive 15 and then add one later if needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recommend the ported Rythmik FV15HP to start with, and then think about adding a second when funds permit.
Sounds like ported 15s is the consensus. I know this sounds dumb but I like the app and dsp and only SVS and Paradigm have that. The x15 is like 1500 msrp but could prob get it for around 1200.... however I already have an app/arc/dsp with my mrx720 and wouldn’t that be better anyway?

So you would recommend one nicer 15 now vs 2 SVS pb2000 pro?

Any reason for the rythmik over hsu or PSA? I just wish the rythmik and hsu looked a little nicer.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
For looks, the HSU VTF-15H MK2 comes in a real wood veneer, called rosenut. The veneer adds $200 to the (sale) price of the VTF-15 H MK2. Also, the HSU is on the large side.

As far as Rythmik, I like the package the FV15HP offers. Deep bass extension, high output, flexible tuning, a choice of finishes. The FV15HP comes in a choice of 3 finishes including piano black (for a $260 upcharge). Very well thought of.

Reactions: Deaf-Forever

·
Registered
10,031 Posts
Sounds like ported 15s is the consensus. I know this sounds dumb but I like the app and dsp and only SVS and Paradigm have that. The x15 is like 1500 msrp but could prob get it for around 1200.... however I already have an app/arc/dsp with my mrx720 and wouldn’t that be better anyway?

So you would recommend one nicer 15 now vs 2 SVS pb2000 pro?

Any reason for the rythmik over hsu or PSA? I just wish the rythmik and hsu looked a little nicer.
The PB2000pro is just as big as the HSU VTF3 and larger than the PSA 1512DF so........ The PC2000pro will take up the least amount of floor space and once the lights are off they just disappear into the night.

The X15 has a lot of output above 20hz and seems to be decent to 16hz especially once inside. It is just as large or larger than the other 15" subs you're looking at though.

About the best you're going to do with your concern for aesthetics is a pair of HSU ULS15s or a pair of SVS SB3000s. The SB3000s give up a fair bit of performance below 30hz to the HSUs but are quite a bit smaller.

Reactions: grizzle

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Be careful about picking speakers based on looks. You might more then you bargained for ;)

If budget is the driving factor, HSU 15" ported especially if you're going duals. If performance is the driver, then the PSA's and Rythmik's come into play. Just my humble opinion though. Loudspeaker Audio equipment Computer speaker Electronic instrument Subwoofer Subwoofer Loudspeaker Sound box Ipod Electronics

Reactions: grizzle

·
Registered
8 Posts
If aesthetics and WAF are a big issue what about selling the 5's and getting a pair of triton 2+s? I have them in a large 20×30 room and they produce great bass. You have to run an RCA cable to them to act as powered subs. If you can listen to them somewhere running with the RCAs hooked up to the subwoofer outs on the amp i think you would be very impressed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If aesthetics and WAF are a big issue what about selling the 5's and getting a pair of triton 2+s? I have them in a large 20×30 room and they produce great bass. You have to run an RCA cable to them to act as powered subs. If you can listen to them somewhere running with the RCAs hooked up to the subwoofer outs on the amp i think you would be very impressed.
What’s funny is you just reminded me of my original plan when I bought the Triton Five’s 2 years ago. Which was to get the fives and separate sub over the integrated Tritons. Then I never got around to getting the separate subs bc of life. I’ve been using an old klipsch 10rsw which is not a good sub at all.

I think my options are down to dual SVS SB2000 pros or dual HSU ULS-15 mk2. However I’m leaning more towards SVS since they include free shipping, 5 year warranty, 45 day trial and the 1 year step up program. The HSUs are almost 1k
piece when you add in the shipping and warranty. I could get dual sb3000s for that.

What do you think about Triton Two+ vs Triton Fives with dual SVS SB2000/3000? Would the Two+ have more midrange and better blending? Also what AVR are you using?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The PB2000pro is just as big as the HSU VTF3 and larger than the PSA 1512DF so........ The PC2000pro will take up the least amount of floor space and once the lights are off they just disappear into the night.

The X15 has a lot of output above 20hz and seems to be decent to 16hz especially once inside. It is just as large or larger than the other 15" subs you're looking at though.
View attachment 3032899
About the best you're going to do with your concern for aesthetics is a pair of HSU ULS15s or a pair of SVS SB3000s. The SB3000s give up a fair bit of performance below 30hz to the HSUs but are quite a bit smaller.
Wow the x15 is huge also. And didn’t realize the PB2000s were that large either. Looks like I’m down to dual ULS15s or SVS SB3000s.

I’m leaning towards SVS due to the warranty, step up program, and app. But I feel like I’ll always wonder “what if”, if I don’t get the HSU 15s. Just wish the HSU had the extras like SVS. The 1yr step up sounds awesome since I can trade up if I need... what are your thoughts?

edit- I should say ease of setup is bonus for me which is why I like the Defiance x12/15 with ARC. Is either one of these subs more foolproof?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I think sealed will fall short of of your parameters. If you pick subs based on looks you might not get what you want. If you "want a true “Movie Theatre” feel with accurate, well blended bass." IT will take more sealed subs then you probably want to buy and the SB3000 probably isn't it. Maybe 2 SB16-Ultra's. Might want to go 3 or more though. Is your room sealed? Its a pretty big room so I dont know if you will get any "sealed sub room gain". Ported low tuned subs are probably a safer bet. I dont thinl the 16 ultras will get you there, but Im a dork that thinks I might have enough with 4-18" cones.... might... Ok, probably!! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think sealed will fall short of of your parameters. If you pick subs based on looks you might not get what you want. If you "want a true “Movie Theatre” feel with accurate, well blended bass." IT will take more sealed subs then you probably want to buy and the SB3000 probably isn't it. Maybe 2 SB16-Ultra's. Might want to go 3 or more though. Is your room sealed? Its a pretty big room so I dont know if you will get any "sealed sub room gain". Ported low tuned subs are probably a safer bet. I dont thinl the 16 ultras will get you there, but Im a dork that thinks I might have enough with 4-18" cones.... might... Ok, probably!! :D
Yeah unfortunately I think you are right... it’s a 20x20 perfect square bonus room/home theater. I just moved in and the room really is big. One wall is 140” screen for a projector so I’m not sure how to deal with the middle room null area...

Do you think the ULS 15s wouldn’t get me there? Or else I just have to deal with a giant box and find the best looking ported subs for WAF lol...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Well, if you're only wanting to spend 1500 bucks I think you need to spend all of it and go FV15HP or maybe a TV1812 or a FV18 or dual VTF-15H MK. The latter are slightly over you budget. There is a reason that the sealed are smaller and its not because they packed more output into the tiny box. Now, a Captivator RS1 is probably an exception to the rule, but notice the cost. See a pattern here? Usable low output is not a free ride. It costs you in dollars or size or a little of both. Pick one and get after it! :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

View attachment 3032899

View attachment 3032899
So I chatted with SVS and they suggested dual PB3000s... which is like 3k! I don’t think I ever actually experienced a properly pressurized room so not sure what I’m missing. Currently I’m using a klipsch 10rsw which is completely out at matched with my system, so anything will be an upgrade.
I’d probably go with defiance x12s if I’m going to spend 1k a piece on speakers. I really the idea of ARC on the woofer as I have a huge room and placement will be key.

I guess I really need to start eliminating choices... short list will be SVS and paradigm defiance. Both have apps and dsp, plus the trade up and free trial of svs is awesome. I think I’ll order a SB2000 pro and a PB2000 pro. I can’t really justify spending 1500 on a Pb3000...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts