Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Thanks for a great site, the advice has been most helpful with my new home wiring project.

I have wired each room in my house with RG6 and Cat5e. I have 3 A/V Zones, a Theatre, a Family Room, and a Rumpus Room.

In total I have 8 rooms which will require access to the A/V sources from the 3 A/V Zones.

All the cables run directly to a cable closet in the laundry.

I will have 2 Satellite STBs, 3 VCRs, 1 FTA Antenna, 1 HDTV STB, and 2 DVD players accross the 3 zones. Each zone has 2 RG6 cables running back to the cable closet.

What is the best way to combine these signals for distribution around the house??

·
Registered
511 Posts
Here's how I'd do it:

- Get 3 modulators (one for each A/V zone). For each zone, get a modulator with the appropriate number of channels for the devices that you want to modulate in the zone (e.g. if you have a DVD and a Satellite in the zone that you want to be able to see elsewhere in the house, use a 2 channel modulator). ChannelPlus 55x5 ( http://www.multiplextechnology.com/n...ucts/5500.html ) would work well for this. If you want the devices to be distributed in stereo (via MTS signal), you need to use a stereo modulator (e.g. ChannelPlus 5645). These are expensive, but work really well.

- Send the output of the modulator in each of these A/V zones down one of the 2 coaxes that you ran. At your central location, run two of these into a 2-way combiner. Run the output of this into one modulator input of a 3x8 distribution amplifier ( http://www.multiplextechnology.com/p.../rf/da550.html -- either of the HHR or BID models will work; BID is needed if you're now or in the future going to use it with a bi-directional CATV system). Run the 3rd modulator ouput into the 2nd modulator input. Run the antenna feed into the antenna input (this gets amplified before distribution -- the modulator feeds don't need amplification, as they're already at high gain). Each of the coaxes into the 8 rooms goes into the outputs of the distribution amplifier.

- In the remote rooms where you want to be able to control components in the a/v zones, you need to use a 2100A IR wall plate & a 2131 or 2132 IR target. In the a/v zones, you can put IR emitters (e.g. 2171/2172/2173) into the emitter jack of the 2100A and place the emitter in sight of the IR control windows of the devices that you want to control remotely. The 2171 actually sticks on the window & is transparent so that it doesn't interfere with normal remote control operation in the room where the component is located.

- Make sure that your components that you're controlling with the IR system aren't on the same code (e.g. 2 VCRs of the same brand). A command that you send anywhere in the system will be sent to all of the components that are in sight of the IR emitters.

- You mentioned an HDTV STB -- you won't be able to route HDTV signals with the system described above. Systems that can distribute HDTV are very expensive & would require more wiring than you've now got in place.

Hope this helps. I recently set up a system not too different from what you're looking to do & it works great.

Regards

BB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, thanks for the info. Looks like I will need a HDTV STB for each A/V Zone, never mind.

Many Thanks

Damian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.