AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been working on my dream theater space for some time now, and have come to a crossroads I could use some advice on. I've attached a very crude room layout, as well as current photos of the ceiling, one angle looking towards the projector, and one angle looking towards the stage/screen. The room volume is approximately 6,500 cubic feet.

My question is, what would be the best way to treat the ceiling (plywood portion)? I have two options at the moment:

1. Linear wood plank with 1/2" gap between planks. I could paint the plywood underneath black, or I could fit black 1/2" acoustic mat underneath for some sound absorption properties.

2. 1" of Corning 703 throughout entire plywood area of ceiling wrapped in fabric.

My concern with option 2 is that I am attenuating too much high frequencies and leaving nothing for the low end. The walls will be lined with a row of very large acoustic panels, 2" or 4" thickness not sure yet, at those thicknesses I believe the lower frequencies should be tamed to some degree. I am just afraid if I line the ceiling with 1" corning 703 I will not be attenuating reverberation throughout the frequency range evenly enough, and ending up with muddy sound.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
30,608 Posts
My concern with option 2 is that I am attenuating too much high frequencies and leaving nothing for the low end.
Yup, would be like turning down the treble knob. For broadband absorption with OC703, I would use 4-6 inches. You don't have to cover the entire ceiling with it, just the overhead first reflection points of the L/C/R speakers.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes sense to me initially...that is until I think about all the home theaters that use carpet to achieve the same thing. Surely carpet wouldn’t be recommended for a large room by the same logic? Maybe I’m overthinking things lol.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,977 Posts
it is not an all or nothing 1 inch ceiling treatment, you could do selected strategic areas and leave the others untreated hidden by the fabric. At the first relection point think about a checker board of 1 ft sq sections of absorbtion and untreated. In the rear area behind the reflection points no treatment at all. Look at the ceiling in this project for ideas. Home Theater of the Month: The Event Horizon

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ohh that’s interesting thanks Jeff and Steve! I never considered slanting the wood...that can definitely be done! If there’s anything I would say I’m actually good at on this project is woodwork (not drywall!!!!). The hard part is figuring a way to install the wood planks without showing screws. Maybe even brads...

I like the velvet idea because I can fasten the velvet with staples that can be hidden under the 1 inch furring strips for the planks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts