AVS Forum banner

Help with acoustic treatments please

269 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  moonpuncher 
#1 ·
I've attached some pics of my living room. I want to do as much as I can for the home theater without completely getting weird (like covering my ceiling with panels).

I'm definitely noticing some echo/reverb and since the house is almost all hard tile and wall, that's not surprising. I added a rug and heavy curtains which actually helped a fair deal. Please help me take it one step further. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Gear: Samsung PNF8500 64"
Definitive Technology 8060 fronts, center.
Definitive Technology 8040 rear surrounds
Just ordered a Rythmik FV15HP I'm going to pick up in a couple days
Chair is probably 9ft from the TV

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are looking for something that doesn't look like acoustic treatment, I'd suggest a quilt or some other decorative fabric (the thicker the better) for the wall between the closet(?) and the stairs (directly behind the main seating).

If you're willing to go further, the wall the TV hangs on could use some absorption in the areas directly behind the speakers.

I imagine that those two changes would be enough to eliminate most of the sharp "zing" sounding flutter-echo you're hearing as well as clean up some of the soundstage for dialog intelligibility.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response! A quick question: These speakers are "bi-polar" i think is the term, where they have rear-firing drivers as well. Would putting treatments directly behind them be defeating their design? (and if so, is that still ok?).

I don't want panels all over the house, but if there are a couple spots where they could help quite a bit, I'm open and happy to do it. I don't mind someone walking in and going "What's that black thing on the wall?" but don't want my living room to look like a recording studio.

#4 ·
I didn't realize the mains we bipolar... The center isn't, if I am reading correctly. Absorbing the rear output might be sacrificing aspects of the speaker you like, so I say start with the rear wall, the add behind the center.

On the other hand, you could try absorbing behind the L and R... I wouldn't personally recommend bipolar arrangements for L and R in a surround system, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use them. Try something like the couch cushions behind them and see what you think.

It's a matter of personal taste and how it's working with the room.

#6 ·
Behind the leather chair, on the left as you are sitting, in that end of the hall, needs something. DIY panel, as linked above, word work very well.

I also would not use bipolar speakers for the fronts. That could be the main problem.

Nice place!

#7 ·
I might have phrased my request too cautiously because I'm open to putting actual acoustic panels on the wall, I just don't want 20 of them like you see in some recommended guides. What else can I do? I'm going to look at the actual TV wall (I was surprised that was a recommendation) and I haven't heard much about the wall to the right (which I'm assuming is pretty reflective, right?).

Anyway, what else can I do. I'm going to play around with some sofa cushions against the TV wall but I'd be shocked if that solves the problem to my satisfaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.