AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking at my local CC and BB I have been unable to come to a decision on any recievers. Can anyone shed some light on the major diff between these?

HK 525 open box $375

Pioneer VSX-912K new $375

and this years Onkyo TXSR502 for $300

I know the first 2 are last years models am I better off just going with this years Onkyo? Plus its cheaper. One thing that would be nice is to get a surrond feel untill I purchace my backs and a center. Currently only have Floor standing towers. So this is sort of a project.

· Registered
7,822 Posts
How 'bout doing a little homework? Like reading the spec sheets.

If there's something you don't understand, or can't weigh, ask it here.

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Only my opinion, but.........;)

$375 for last years model Pioneer VSX-912 is way overpriced. And $375 for the H/K AVR-525, if it is not missing anything major like the remote, is a great price even though it is a open box. Because there are still many online sources still selling the 525 for over $500, and even Harmons own online store HERE is still selling them for $430 for refurbished ones. Also something else for you to consider, is that at one time the AVR-525 had a MSRP of over $900. And that many people would choose the H/K even as a refurbished or open box unit, at that price over the "new in box" Pioneer. And also that the H/K has a way better "real world" usable power output, than the Pioneer 912, and possibly even better than what the Onkyo has as well. But otherwise as for the Onkyo, I can't say much either way about that model or the one that it replaced. Other than it will have newer features than either the H/K or the Pioneer.

· Registered
7,822 Posts
John, I've had no direct experience with any of the receivers, but that's my impression too. The HK *if warrantied* should be the better choice.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, Do you feel the same way if the Harmon was a floor model and has been there for about 8 months? Im down to the Harmon or the Onkyo for $300. I like the idea of new in the Box and am looking to save some money so Im leaning towards the onk but the Harmon sounds very nice?

· Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sherman
Thanks guys, Do you feel the same way if the Harmon was a floor model and has been there for about 8 months?
If it's in very good shape, and not missing something important like the remote. And has a good warranty. (The warranty is a very important part here! No warranty would = not such a great deal) Then yeah it's still a good deal.

But you might, after adding in the cost of your local taxes. Still end up being close to the $430 that H/K sells the refurbished ones for, which do come with a full 2 year factory warranty, and all the needed acessories for it.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Wouldn't touch the Harman. The 525 is a 50/50 proposition as to whether it will work. Just check the availability of refurbs still. Even when they work in spec, that means audio drop-outs and delays.

Go with a reliable Pioneer or Onkyo.

· Registered
8,948 Posts
Don't listen to Bubba - get the H/K. Even if you have problems H/K customer support will fix it or replace it, which I doubt those other manufacturers would (replace it). Another recent AVS poster who had problems got his 525 replaced with the new 430 - a nice upgrade IMO.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith901
Don't listen to Bubba - get the H/K. Even if you have problems H/K customer support will fix it or replace it, which I doubt those other manufacturers would (replace it). Another recent AVS poster who had problems got his 525 replaced with the new 430 - a nice upgrade IMO.
There's only one problem with that scenario. The 630 is the direct replacement for the 525, not the 430. The 430 is a model down, but thank you for helping to reinforce my point. Check it out, sherman. Don't take anyone's word for it. ;)

Stay away from H/K.

· Registered
980 Posts
IMO the HK is the best value of the three (assuming warranty in effect). That said, I would choose either the HK or Pioneer because they have preouts which will allow you to add a separate amp should the urge arise. BTW, I have owned an HK225 for 2 years with no problems to speak of.

· Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawilly
There's only one problem with that scenario. The 630 is the direct replacement for the 525, not the 430. The 430 is a model down, but thank you for helping to reinforce my point. Check it out, sherman. Don't take anyone's word for it. ;)

Stay away from H/K.
I agree - check them out. Audition them both from CC and BB - use their 30 day return policy and decide for yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.