AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for having a few questions in 1. First, I have no desire for HD. Just need an antenna for regular OTA tv. 2nd, I'd like to split it between 2-3 different tv's.

My first question. There is some cabling already run through my house from a previous DISH installation. Cables are still on top of the garage roof, but unsure of what exactly. Would I theoretically be able to use that same cabling on the antenna and just plug in the existing coax that's in the house?

But mainly I need some help in choosing a proper antenna. I've attached my tvfool results. It's all over the board, but keep in mind that I could care less about the Rockford stations, and prefer to get the Madison stations.

I already purchased the the radioshack da-5200. It worked great for a friend but he's about 10 miles closer to madison. I also have some trees and reception has always been poor. It was not strong enough to bring in the Madison stations on 1 tv as high as I could get it. So I know I need to step it up a notch. I would, if at all possible, like to stay below $100.

If you need any more info, please let me know. Your help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hello pacoweaz,

Welcome to the forums!

Madison is at 316 degrees from your location (0 degrees is true north). According to tvfool, Madison has one high vhf station (ch 11, FOX) and the rest are uhf. A combo antenna would appropriate for your location. The Winegard 769x series is a very good choice and I'd recommend a 7696 antenna. A pre-amp may also be needed depending on how many tvs/splitters are included in the distribution system.

Satellite companies use high quality rg-6 cable. You should be able to reuse their cabling for your new antenna. Do your tvs have digital tuners? If not, you will need to purchase a converter box for each tv that lacks a digital tuner.

Proper grounding is an important aspect during the antenna install. For guidelines, see near bottom of page: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/basics.html

HTH.

Rick

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15549091

Madison is at 316 degrees from your location (0 degrees is true north). According to tvfool, Madison has one high vhf station (ch 11, FOX) and the rest are uhf. A combo antenna would appropriate for your location. The Winegard 769x series is a very good choice and I'd recommend a 7696 antenna. A pre-amp may also be needed depending on how many tvs/splitters are included in the distribution system.

HTH.

Rick

Madison appears to be blocked by something even though it's only 30 some miles to their towers. Signals on TVFool in the -60 to -70 dbm range are pretty low. I might suggest a larger antenna but at least the HD7996 (they make a 97 and 98).

I would also say that since the Rockford stations will be off the back quadrant where the lobes should be smallest, and they should not overload an amp.

The best amp to get for what you need is the CM7777. Plus when you split to 3 sets you will 6db right there, plus 5 to 10 db in your cables. So an amp then won't overload the receivers either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts