AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using the 351 as a subsonic filter, but I really want to use the EQ portion and get a flatter response from my subs. Right now, my subs are in the same corner but because of the way my living room is ( vaulted ceilings and an opening to the kitchen) the bass is stronger in certain parts of the room.

So, what do I need to get the same response thru out the room? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
what do I need to get the same response thru out the room?

Bass traps will help smooth the frequency response across wide areas of the room. They are not a cure all, but they are the needed first step before applying EQ.

Tim

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut /forum/post/0

Bass traps will help smooth the frequency response across wide areas of the room. They are not a cure all, but they are the needed first step before applying EQ.

Tim

Thats probably not going to work, I doubt my wife would go for that. But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you are sure you can't absorb any of the reverberant bass energy using:
http://www.gikacoustics.com/ or
http://www.atsacoustics.com/ ,

try separating the subs.

Probably the best quick method to find good spots is the reverse sub crawl where you place a sub right next to your listening position and then crawl around listening to each of your likely locations -- the ones with the evenest bass win.

By separating the subs you will loose low bass SPL, but you will co-mingle the romm resonance patterns and thus even out bass response.

Another concept is to reduce room effects by placing the subs right next to the listening positions --- play with the sub distance setting in your prepro/rcvr.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is my room from the seating position,

So there really is no other place I can put the subs. I might be upgrading to the new boxed Ultra later on this year, so I might be able to then, but not with the current Cylinder subs.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/0

They can even be laid on their side on the floor behind your couch -- in fact they work well this way.

Nope, can't do that either, check it out.

Guess I will just have to wait till I get the new PB13 Ultra, that sub I would be able to move around cause it would look like an end table.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well, you could try moving the bookcase out of the corner and against the back wall, and putting one sub in that corner. But both would be on the same side of the room, and you'd need a l-o-n-g sub cable

I think I agree with you -- if you've got this system at all dialed in and you are going to get a cabinet sub in a few months, it's hard to justify much further effort or expense at this point...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
One other thing: Your seating position in the middle of the room is a bad as it gets from a bass cancellation perspective -- since these are true nulls they can't be fixed with EQ -- the only fix I know of is placing a sub right next to you...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
What I would do in that room is use one of the long walls for the stereo rather than one of the short walls. Get some light blocking cutains from JCPenny -- you can always open them. Place your TV and stereo against the window wall, and your seating against the opposite wall. With a sub in each of the corners on the window wall you should have more even bass, and more concentrated bass since your seats will be near a wall. Try to avoid sitting at the exact center of the wall length.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/0

What I would do in that room is use one of the long walls for the stereo rather than one of the short walls. Get some light blocking cutains from JCPenny -- you can always open them. Place your TV and stereo against the window wall, and your seating against the opposite wall. With a sub in each of the corners on the window wall you should have more even bass, and more concentrated bass since your seats will be near a wall. Try to avoid sitting at the exact center of the wall length.

Thanks for all your advice, and you are right, the main seating position suffers from some bass cancellation, but it is not that bad. If you sit by the walls though, the bass is felt a lot more, specially with content under 20Hz. I just wanted to level out the room more, but that seems futile with the way our living room is.

I can't move the TV the way you suggested because it would be to close and it would also get rid of the 7.1 setup. I just have to wait till I get a box sub, that I will be able to move closer to the main seating area since those boxed subs look like furniture. We will be redoing the HT after summer with a new TV, something table top and then we will probably be able to rearrange the living room. Once again, thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.