AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Marantz owner here, have been a Yamaha customer for years and years. Once I updated to Paradigm speakers I felt the Yammy to be to bright so I switched to SR5007. So far I am only impressed with the video up scaling and not the audio quality. However, I am having trouble finding where I can switch audio modes (dolby digital, DTS, NEO, etc.). With the Yamaha's this was on the remote as separate buttons, but I can't find this on the simple Marantz remote. I also scanned through the setup menu but could not find it either. Right now everything is decoding in PCM 48khz, but I need more punch if you know what I mean. Also, when I hold down the movie or music buttons I only get two choices, stereo or virtual. Any help would be appreciated. I have two weeks to return it, and I am wondering if that is the best bet for my sound preferences.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts
Did you run audyssey? Which Paradigm speakers do you have? Have they had time to break in?


What is your signal source? If you are bitstreaming the audio signal, your receiver may be limited to only certain audio modes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Need more info. Sounds like you do not have

Your sources connected correctly or configured correctly.


List what you have connected to the Marantz and how,plz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did run Audyssey which did not detect any errors and ran fine. Right now I am running Studio 20 V5's and a B&W subwoofer. Everything is connected through HDMI in (PS3, WIIU, Cable box) and one out to TV. The speakers are bi-wired and connected to the amp via banana plugs. I had the exact same setup with my Yamaha, so I am not sure what I could have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,355 Posts
Try RTFM....usually helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherfox  /t/1468972/help-with-audio-decoding#post_23227164


I did run Audyssey which did not detect any errors and ran fine. Right now I am running Studio 20 V5's and a B&W subwoofer. Everything is connected through HDMI in (PS3, WIIU, Cable box) and one out to TV. The speakers are bi-wired and connected to the amp via banana plugs. I had the exact same setup with my Yamaha, so I am not sure what I could have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

How are you bi-amping the speakers? How old are the Paradigm speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,015 Posts
You cannot choose DD 5.1 or DTS on a receiver. You get whatever codec the source is sending. So, if the AVR reports it is getting PCM, that's what the source device is sending.


If you have a 5.1 system and the source is sending something that is already 5.1, then you will not be able to apply DSPs such as PLII or Neo:6, as those can only be used when the source has fewer channels.


btw, PCM is the best you can get. Dolby and DTS are data compression codecs whose sole purpose is saving space. Decoding them produces PCM.


And, yes, read the manual. Look for the section that describes how to set different listening modes or surround modes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
93,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherfox  /t/1468972/help-with-audio-decoding/0_100#post_23222042


New Marantz owner here, have been a Yamaha customer for years and years. Once I updated to Paradigm speakers I felt the Yammy to be to bright so I switched to SR5007. So far I am only impressed with the video up scaling and not the audio quality. However, I am having trouble finding where I can switch audio modes (dolby digital, DTS, NEO, etc.). With the Yamaha's this was on the remote as separate buttons, but I can't find this on the simple Marantz remote. I also scanned through the setup menu but could not find it either. Right now everything is decoding in PCM 48khz, but I need more punch if you know what I mean. Also, when I hold down the movie or music buttons I only get two choices, stereo or virtual. Any help would be appreciated. I have two weeks to return it, and I am wondering if that is the best bet for my sound preferences.


Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherfox  /t/1468972/help-with-audio-decoding/0_100#post_23227164


I did run Audyssey which did not detect any errors and ran fine. Right now I am running Studio 20 V5's and a B&W subwoofer. Everything is connected through HDMI in (PS3, WIIU, Cable box) and one out to TV. The speakers are bi-wired and connected to the amp via banana plugs. I had the exact same setup with my Yamaha, so I am not sure what I could have done wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

If you only have a 2.1 setup, then STEREO would be the correct surround mode. Also note that the "bi-wiring" is not likely adding any additional benefit.


Note also there is a thread dedicated just for Marantz SR5007 Owners ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432327/marantz-sr5007-owners-thread/0_100
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I did also post in the official owners thread, but there has been no activity there since April. I did read through the manual as well, not much help to be honest. It shows which codecs the receiver supports, but not how to get to them. I also realize that bi-wiring is a personal preference, but to me it does sound better. I've tried both setups with and without bi-wiring.


My speakers are only a few years old, they are the newest Studio 20's that Paradigm makes.


I guess I will keep trying to get the sound right. If I can't I will return the receiver and go back to my older Yamaha. Thanks for your ideas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,015 Posts
Is your system 2.1 or 5.1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherfox  /t/1468972/help-with-audio-decoding#post_23229508


I did read through the manual as well, not much help to be honest. It shows which codecs the receiver supports, but not how to get to them.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The receiver doesn't control which codecs are used. The source does that. You set the AVR input to Auto, which is the default, and it will process whatever codec the source sends. If the source is encoded as DD 5.1, you must use a DD 5.1 decoder. You can't use a DTS decoder as that would not produce any sound. Decoding turns the soundtrack into PCM, which is the digital audio format your receiver is designed to process.


Once the track is PCM, you may be able to apply DSPs (digital signal processors) to modify the sound. PLII and DTS Neo:6 are two examples of DSPs used to expand stereo PCM to 5.1. But, those DSPs don't come into play if you only have a stereo system.


It's kind of hard to help if you don't share more information about your system configuration and how your equipment is connected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok i am understanding this now. I only run a 2.1 setup, so the receiver will only allow me to select certian options. I was confused because the Yamaha had many more options to choose from with the same setup. Also, oddly my Marantz app on my phone allows me to choose options that were not there when I press and hold the "movie" or "music" option. That to me, is odd.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top