AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a problem I'm hoping to solve but I don't seem to be able to find any information on how to easily switch between different audio formats aside from the Windows 7 Advanced Sound Control Panel

I use my PC as an all in one Home Media PC and gaming PC and constantly find myself switching audio formats, primarily between 16 bit 44.1 KHZ and 24 bit 96Khz.

I use the studio quality for Bluray and FLAC and I would normally keep that setting however, music through itunes gets switched back to CD quality (16/44.1) so that my AVR can upsample for a better sounding experience. Also some games seem to work better(fewer crashes) with the lower quality audio.

Does anyone know of an app, gadget, or other software that lets you swithc between audio formats more easily than going through the standard route of the Windows Control Panel?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You may want to check out the JRiver Media Center (free trial but costs $50 to keep). This program is well known for its audio capabilites. What you can do with JRiver is set up different zones (audio, video, gamming, whatever) and assign different formats to each zone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20884775

You may want to check out the JRiver Media Center (free trial but costs $50 to keep). This program is well known for its audio capabilites. What you can do with JRiver is set up different zones (audio, video, gamming, whatever) and assign different formats to each zone.

Thanks..I'll take a look... any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
It is Windows Audio Engine that resamples all audio streams to whatever sample rate/bit depth you select in the Sound control panel before they get to the audio device/driver. The only satisfactory solution is to bypass Windows Audio Engine entirely (so called "bit-perfect" audio) via WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO. Some audio renderers support WASAPI exclusive mode (e. g. ReClock). As for ASIO, the audio device must support it.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
music through itunes gets switched back to CD quality (16/44.1) so that my AVR can upsample for a better sounding experience.

? If you have 16/44.1 as input, no amount of re-sampling is going to change that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are there any good blogs or articles on the web that explain the "bit perfect" audio? I'm not sure if this is what I need to solve my initial problem but am curious to learn more. Ultimately it would be nice to just play movies, games, highdef audio, itunes, etc. without having to change the Win7 Audio format each time.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
firstly, what sound card do you have?

here is what you have to do:

switch to winamp for music, get an asio/kernel streaming/wasapi plugin and leave windows at 48khz

OR

configure your video player to use reclock with wasapi and leave windows at 44.1khz.

I don't think it hurts to output 16 bit as 24 bit, so I think you can just safely leave it at 24 bit either way.

·
Registered
470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/20895751

? If you have 16/44.1 as input, no amount of re-sampling is going to change that.

Well, dac chips do it internal anyway. User may want to use an better external algorithm.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am quite the layman when it comes to this audio stuff... I thought that this might have been a simple process but it seems it is quite involved. I currently do not have a sound card..just my built in realtek on the motherboard.

Thanks for the link any further info..greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq /forum/post/20911194

Well, dac chips do it internal anyway. User may want to use an better external algorithm.

To do what? You'll never have more information (higher bitrate, larger bit depth) than there is in the original file. You can't just pull higher quality out of thin air.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.