AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi,

I'm very new at this. I'm looking to install a surround sound 5.1 in my living room (13x14). There are so many reviews out there and i was told that this is the best place to find my answer to my question for the best receiver with my speakers. My budget is about 1,000 for both avr and speaker. I hope to use these tech for 60% TV cable, 20% blu ray movie and 20% listening to music. I hoping also to connect a pair of satellite speaker to my dinning room to my avr for music. I'm looking for a avr with a wireless network also. Please advise.

Thank you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Seems like you want a receiver that supports 2 zones. Off hand I don't know any receiver that is wireless per se. However, many are wired. Also, many support airplay or your source (blu ray) may be wireless. For $1,000 my guess is you will probably be somewhere in the $600 for speakers / $400 receiver. You will want to determine if you want a subwoofer for bass. To get more bang for your buck you many consider used speakers as the principles of those are pretty basic. A 13x14 room may be good enough for bookshelves instead of towers.

If you are near a Best Buy or like store then go and listen and see what suits you. You will get a lot of advice but everyone has their own preference.

Recommendation is to spend more on speakers up front then a receiver.

Basic speaker wire is fine (Monoprice is a good source) and you don't need expensive wiring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks. So the speaker is more important the receiver. I heard that Energy Take Classic or the Micro RC speakers are good. I'm looking for something small also since my room is not that big. What do you think of Energy speaker? What is a good brand and model for a good receiver to go with the energy speakers if I decided to get the energy. Can you also explain what is a subwoofer?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hello. I personally like Energy. I just think they are a fun speaker. I have used the CB-20s and CB-5s. The CB-5s are excellent for their size. I have never heard the Take Classic. A subwoofer is used to produce low frequency / bass/ booms (think Apollo 13 lift off sequence). If you are going to go with small speakers and you like bass - then you will need a sub.

Also - you don't need to spend a lot for wiring. You can get some good inwall rated wire from Monoprice or Accessories4less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks. I will look at the CB-20 and CB-5 and I will have to get the sub also. Any good sub out there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts