AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new member here, longtime lurker. I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to.

I am planning on upgrading my AVR to one with HDMI as I would really like to take advantage of DD-HD and DTS-HD sound. Now my BD player can decode as well as bitstream both, however it has no analogue out options for me to get lossless sent to my current AVR.

So my question is, if I go with a 5.1 will I still get the 7.1 lossless, just omitting the 2 rear channels. Or if I get a 7.1 Solution( but no new speakers) will I still get the 7.1 lossless even though the AVR will detect that only 5 channels are available. In short will either scenario cause an auto downgrade to a standard DD or DTS source instead of giving me the HD.

I want to be able to take full advantage of the lossless experience, but I have no room to add the 2 rears for true 7.1.

Note: these are the 2 AVR's I am looking at the Denon AVR-591 or AVR-791

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba5ik /forum/post/19580828

Hi all new member here, longtime lurker. I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to.

I am planning on upgrading my AVR to one with HDMI as I would really like to take advantage of DD-HD and DTS-HD sound. Now my BD player can decode as well as bitstream both, however it has no analogue out options for me to get lossless sent to my current AVR.

So my question is, if I go with a 5.1 will I still get the 7.1 lossless, just omitting the 2 rear channels. Or if I get a 7.1 Solution( but no new speakers) will I still get the 7.1 lossless even though the AVR will detect that only 5 channels are available. In short will either scenario cause an auto downgrade to a standard DD or DTS source instead of giving me the HD.

I want to be able to take full advantage of the lossless experience, but I have no room to add the 2 rears for true 7.1.

Note: these are the 2 AVR's I am looking at the Denon AVR-591 or AVR-791

Whichever AVR you get the room EQ program will determine how many speakers are connected and go from there. So you can get a 7.1 and whenever you run the Eq program it will determine the speaker configuration. Choose you AVR and connect and go. Either of the AVR's you have chosen will work just fine depending on room size,speakers, and needed power for the sound you want. Good luck and welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts