AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I am having to re-build my home theater after a basement flood.

Can anyone tell me the proper projector-to-screen distance for the BD808 using a 92" wide screen?

Also when I go through the "installation adjustment menu", the raster centering concerns me. When you get to this adjustment in the sequence, the contrast is turned down and you have to look into the lens and see if the raster is centered in the phosphor area. In my case, where the raster is at its widest, it's wider than the phosphor. When you center it, it still spills off the phosphor on both sides. Also, at the bottom of the raster (as you look from the front) the raster looks bent.

As I continue through the adjustments, I can get the actual projected image to look pretty straight and to fit inside the phosphor area, but it doesn't seem right that the raster itself looks this messed up.

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.

· Registered
238 Posts
Rick, I have recently set up a bd808 and found the same thing with the raster centering as did some others (you can search for the posts) Don't worry about that just center them as best your can and after you have finished in the installation menu, apply a signal then when you center the rasters with a gnelocked souce you shall get the wedged shaped rasters as per the installation book. Keep then just inside the edges of the tubes.

PD point measurement for a 92" screen is 2.33 meters or 92"

Steve C

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Steve. That's reassuring about the raster centering.

I don't know what you mean by "PD point measurement", though. Surely 92" is too short from projector to screen for a 92" screen. Please explain.

Rick

· Registered
238 Posts
OOPS...If you have a look at the installation manual for a 92" or 2.33M wide screen the projectors PD should be 218" from screen.

I must have read off the wrong row off the chart

Steve

· Registered
197 Posts
As long as the raster is centered the size of the raster is not your biggest concern. It is the size of the active image area that matters. When you are done with your setup, lower the contrast and make sure the active image area is well within the edges of the phosphor, thats it.

· Registered
2,118 Posts
When I had a BD808 I found the best resolutions were 1280/720 @ 60 for 1:85 to 1 material and 1280/960 for 4/3 material.

The Data is a little limited in its bandwidth when compared to the Graphics.

I also tried 1440/960 @ 48 for widescreen but I noticed a little softening so went back to 1280/720.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help, guys.

I had another go at setting it up before reading the latest messages. Right now it is about 130 inches from the plane of the screen to the front of the projector, and the projected image fits well within the phosphor area.

It is being driven 1024 X 768 X 60 now onto a 4 X 3 screen, PowerDVD inserting grey bars top and bottom for widescreen format. Probably I should create a second vertically squeezed configuration on source "95" to get more scan lines into the 16 X 9 area.

I haven't done that yet cuz I think the focus may be too soft to benefit much. At 768P it is hard to detect scan lines when standing right up to the screen. Does this indicate that physical adjustments (yokes, etc) should be adjusted? The digital focus from the adjustment menu has not made much improvement.

· Registered
2,118 Posts
If your Astig and flare is correct you should be able to squeeze 1024/768. I would recommend 1280/720.

The problem with the Data is the lack of sciempflug asdj so the corners will get progresively more soft as you increase the resolution. The only solution is to shim the lenses using washers but in all honesty I have never seen a procedure for doing this with minimum effort.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.