AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is finsihing his basement, and has the sheet rockers coming soon. he asked me for advice on wiring set-up, as he is not a big movie/audio buff, and 5.1 is about all he ever sees himself wanting. (Never even had more than TV speakers, He is pretty sure 7.2 will never happen, so we will not go there).

50-60" flat screen on wall-Receiver/media options in room behind seating area.

I recommended running HDMI, Coax, Cat 6 and center channel speaker wire to a box next to the dedicated power outlet on wall.

All wires home run to the room behind the viewing area.

L,R, LR,RR and SW wires also Home run to same room.

He is also thinking of running a connected box from low on the wall to behind the set if he ever wants to add a simple gaming system.

He doesn't know if he will run an IR remote or RF, so should I add a Fiber optic run from TV box back to Equipment area?

The equipment area will be unfinished so additional runs can be added to the back wall for IR remote repeater.

Anything I am missing, or should recommend? He doesn't see a big budget in the future, but does like the way I have my movies on a server and run them through the house, but I think the HDMI run will cover that if we get there.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I suggest planning for a projector, some time in the future. Might be 10 years, but would be nice to be covered.

Conduit might be the cheapest 'cable' option, for a future projector location. Need AC at the PJ location, too - shouldn't be in same conduit.

I'd run 4+ runs of cat6, instead of the 1. Since I don't know where the 'outlet' is of which you speak ('next to the dedicated power outlet on wall'), I don't know how easy it will be to add more cables to that area in the future. Maybe some empty conduit, too? HDMI 1.7d is right around the corner.

The extra runs of cat6 - LAN, to the TV; HDMI over cat6 (2 cables); control system; I suggest some extras as well, if it's hard to add cables later.

I'm not really sure what cables, or conduit size, would be appropriate for a future PJ location.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response-Just want to make sure there weren't any glaring omissions.

I had not heard about HDMI over cat 6, I will recommend adding additional runs

I am trying to convince him more is better now, especially since he is also sheet rocking the ceiling.

Agree about the PJ, I planned for a projector when I finished my basement, but have since decided there is a better location (Of course on the side that has a sheet rocked ceiling vs drop tiles).

Even though he is adamant he will not do 7.2, I told him he should run the wires and take pictures of where they are so he can fish them out later if he changes his mind.

The other issue, is he is still not sure which of the 2 walls will end up with the TV, so now running multiple wiring configurations (This is where I told hid One locations center channel could be another locations mid left in 7.2)

I think we are at the point where he will run all the wires he has to multiple possible locations, figuring it is better in the walls than on a spool gathering dust.

Also running additional speaker wires to other basement rooms for multi-room sound, with the runs stopping with slack at potential volume dial locations.

I also recommended a few conduit runs loaded with different color twine to pull what ever comes down the pike. We might do that from one to another unfinished area.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm about ready to load my walls with wire also. I've currently got 7.1, possibly adding a second sub tomorrow.

I'm glad you mentioned wiring for other room speakers....hadn't thought of that!

Curious as to the need for CAT5. Seems to me that wireless is in almost everything now, and/or the ability to connect to wireless.....am I right in assuming the logical thing would be to have a wireless router in the media center and run the CAT5/6 cable from projector location and TV location to the media center....

Other question is on subs. Is there a wireless sub system (that I can connect my current subs to?). I have NO clue where I'm going to end up placing them as this is a completely new location for my system.

oh...and apologies to the OP for hijacking.....

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
When ethernet cable (cat5/cat5e/cat6) is used in place of HDMI for video distribution(usually 2 cables), it is not being used for ethernet. You would need additional ethernet cable(s) for connection to the LAN.

For video distribution, you don't need a router/LAN.

Of course, some of your content may come to your TV over the LAN from the internet or a networked PC, but that is separate from video distribution from shared sources.

I don't think wirless is there quite yet, for LAN. I wouldn't think it would be there for most speakers/SWs, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.