AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does it always happen that when you have guests over to watch a movie, something doesn't work right? Tonight when I turned the projector on everything looked too green, it turns out the red tube did not come on. So, I turned it off and back on still the red did not come on. I then turned it off and back on and only the green came on.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kevin -

Kinda limited info to go on here....i.e., what kind of signal(s) are you feeding it? If RGBHV via port 5, then try swapping the green and red BNC's and see if the red fires up. The problem could be external to the projector.

How about the s-video or composite inputs? Does the red fire up when using those? If not using those inputs, nevermind whether or not they've ever been setup & converged....just attach a working signal to them and see if the red fires.

If you've already done this basic troubleshooting, then try re-seating all the boards, even the CRT card at the end of the red CRT (with the power dis-connected of course).

It could be something simple, or complicated. But first we need to know if it's the projector, and if it is...then narrow down where in the unit the fault lies. If it's a bad board, I and others have spares available for you....so don't worry.

Let us know about the above, and whatever additional info you can give us that might be relevant.

- Chris

EDIT: Phase 2 if the red fails to fire, disconnect the thick red wire (high-voltage anode) from the red and use the one from the green. Then might want to try connecting everything time from the green to the red (CRT board, RGB output board, coil harness).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: This morning when I try to turn it on, the fan starts up, only the green tube comes on and then shuts off after a few seconds. The fan continues to run with no tubes on.

Please Help!!! (we have company coming this week)

Kevin

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm feeding a RGBHV signal. But, even if the source is turned off, the red tube was not lighting up, and now neither is the blue - the green is lighting for a few seconds and then shutting off. So, I think it is definetely the projector.

The unit has been hanging for a couple of years, and gets very little use. The last time we used it was a couple of weeks ago and everything worked fine.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kevin -

Hmmm, have you tried re-seating all the boards? Just pull each out so that it is just free of its slot (pull up about an inch), and securely re-seat.

Can you tell us what the led lights near the G2 and focus pots are doing when you fire it up? Also chech the led lights on the controller.

- Chris

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Go into the menu and see if they respond correctly. IF you get all three tubes lighting with the crosshatch, the processor, tubes and video output boards are eliminated.

Then change the RGB connectors around as you know that the green one works. See if you can get the red and blue to light.

Then feed a regular video signal into input one. I'm guessing you might have problems in the video switching board or the signal source rather than the projector having a problem.

Curt

·
Registered
445 Posts
"LOOK, UP IN THE SKY...."

from the Superman TV theme song (40's & 50's) for those unfamiliar:D

Was thinking during my last post that I hope Curt's watching the board 'cuz he'lll narrow it down pronto!

And voila!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Actually I visualize Andy Kaufmann singing "Here I come to save the Day" (Off Mighty Mouse, and an old SNL spoof) , and it's not nearly as impressive..:)

Curt

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yep, ran through my head too.....

Mr. trouble never hangs around,

when he hears this Mighty sound,
Here I come to save the day!

That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!

Yes sir, when there is a wrong to right,

Mighty Mouse will join the fight!

On the sea or on the land,

He's got the situation well in hand!

- The lyrics to "The Mighty Mouse Playhouse", 1955

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to your direction I've narrowed down the issue. It is something associated with source 05 (RGBHV). The projector works with s-video and set-up just not when it is on source 05 and the source is turned on. Also, when I switch red with either of the other two, the red still does not work. Therefore, I assume it is the red input for source 05. (Also, the source works fine when attached to a computer monitor).

So, now what do I do?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sounds like your RGB/Input Switch board has failed. When you try to use input Mode 5 the projector must just lose the signal. Do you get the "source not found" messge and then a blank screen?

Have you had bad weather lately? I know someone in Knoxville, TN that would fail his BG800 input board several times a year for which ever input he was using and I still suspect a ground loop or some indirect effects from lightning.

Mark

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, Actually the green and blue tube work on the input - just the red is not working. Do you still think that it is the switch board or something else.

We did a have a big thunderstorm this past week.

Kevin

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Yep,. I'll bet one of the switching transistors or diodes on the input of the R stage have failed.

I currently have no stock of working ones, but should have within a couple of weeks, unless someone else can help Kevin out.

Curt

·
Registered
968 Posts
Since you can input the red BNC to a different color and it works all that's really left are the RGB/input switch board and simply the circuit path from the BNC connectors to the motherboard. You can inspect the back side of the BNCs by looking behind the built-in remote. Its still probably the board, however I've seen the BNC connections themselves to be faulty so take a close look there as well.

Mark

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was it - the RGB/Input switch board (I have a BG800, and Mark confirmed that these boards are the same - couldn't have done it with out him - Thanks again Mark). So I switched them out and all is well.

Thanks to everyone for the help - I may have to watch the Andy Kaufman movie today.

Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.