AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a new to me Benq HT2550 fw.1.0.3 and 568 hours on the lamp. The issue with it is occasionally the projector will display no color whatsoever including on the menu. Initially I would perform a power cycle and that would fix it but I also discovered that switching sources will also remedy the issue. Another concern is that the problem is occurring more frequently now. The projector sounds fine both while operating normally and when it suddenly decides to display everything in black and white.

So what could be failing here and how do I go about fixing it? (PS; no access to BenQ support in my country)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
The HDMI cable may be the issue. Switching inputs causes a re handshake so if your having sync issues with a flakey/not up to standard cable especially if it's 25' or longer try replacing it first or test with a shorter cable. Of course if it shows up in the menu also it looks more like a main board problem but wouldn't hurt to check the cable first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the issue does affect the menus as well. I use the projector mainly with an Apple TV 4K. To rule that out as the issue, I directly plugged in a fire stick 4k and the issue persisted. Why do you think it may be a mainboard issue? I was suspicious of the color wheel myself. Are those replaceable on this model?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update.. While troubleshooting I enabled high altitude mode and whenever that's on, the issue doesn't seem to occur (my city is 1,750m above sea level).
The projector was also pretty dusty inside so tried to clean it the best I can. So far Its holding up well, I'll report back if the issue rears its ugly head again..

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
If you think about it the only way to display black and white with a wheel using RGB is to mix all three together. When a color wheel fails you get random colors not black and white unless it shatters and that obviously wouldn't be intermittent. Over heating of a marginal component sounds like your cause.

Reactions: el_macho
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.