AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After listening to a friend's large speaker theater set-up, I have become dissatisfied with the sound I'm getting from my LCR enclosed speakers purchased back in 2005. I realize bookshelf speakers are not the optimum configuration but the room (and the wife) dictates leaving the aesthetics the same. Basically, I want better range and performance from my soundstage. Here is what I have currently:

Marantz SR7001

Atlantic Technology 270 THX system:

-271 LR

-273 Center

-274t SR (surrounds-these are fine)

-272 Sub

Energy 12" 2nd sub

The left and right enclosures are 22"wide x 13" high x 16" deep

Center is limited to 18"w x 11"h x 17" deep

My budget is $750

I have looked at but not listened to the Emotive ERM-1 and Aperion Intimus 4 - right size, right price. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke5 /forum/post/16999147

I have looked at but not listened to the Emotive ERM-1 and Aperion Intimus 4 - right size, right price. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Before I read to the last line I was thinking of the ERM-1s! The ERM-1s need a sub - good thing you have two!

How about a pair of ERM-1s with a 6.2 for the center channel? The 6.2 will fit the space available - and your budget.

I had a 3 pack of ERM-1s for 2 weeks - I sent them back for a few reasons - none of which was the fault of the ERMs. I had a pair of Infinity tower IL40s on ebay with no bites - a good sounding speaker but nobody wanted to give me as much as $300 + shipping for the pair. The ERM-1s are a very good sounding speaker - I drove them with a HK 247 and had no problems with it shutting down or overheating. The are rated 4 ohms but are an easy 4 ohm load. They are rated at the low end at 80hz - and boy o boy do they ever roll off fast! Which is where the sub come in - they need the low end support. But to be fair - they are designed that way.

I think you will find they play as loud as you want and as quiet as you like. I still have a pair of them - more or less - my Emotiva ERT-8.3s are basically a pair of ERM-1s with a couple of 8" woofers strapped to them. They sound absolutely great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your comment but I am wondering if others out there have ideas. I have heard Polk and Mirage as possible choices.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Clark I have some questions.

-It looks by the limitations of the enclosures that you are limited on space, correct? If so a rear ported speaker would not be an option.

-What brand of speakers did your friend have?

-Are you just looking to replace the front three speakers or everything?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has a lot of space with large Acoustic Research speakers (don't know the specific model).

Ported speakers would not work well.

I am just looking to replace the left, center and right channels right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ok from what I see anything rear ported is as you said out, so unfortunately the Aperion's are out. Also your center size restrictions are going to be difficult because the width is only 18 inches. Most centers are over that.

I did find these and when I think soundstage I think Kef. They won't play the loudest, or have the most bass. What they will do is throw a wide developing soundstage and be pretty detailed. Plus they have a center that meets your requirements, they are front ported, and they look good. I think the mirages are also going to be out because of the way their speakers use reflections. An enclosure would mess that up.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...-Walnut/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ut-Pair/1.html

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts
The thread title says LCR.

The Emotivas and the Aperions are both sealed designs. The Emotiva has a bit over the Intimus in the size of the mid-woofer - a single 4" vs two 5-1/4" drivers. There aren't too many sealed speaker designs in this size and price point.

The SVS s series SBS-01 is a sealed design and certainly small enough at 12" x 7" x 9.5" however the matching center is 7" x 20" x 8.5".

A pair of AV123s ELT525 monitors get some good reviews here and elsewhere. I can't provide the link - AVS blocks their IP addresses on links. Go to AV123(.)com and look for the speaker link and you'll find it. The matching center is 17.7” W x 6.2” H x 9.9” so that would fit. These are a vented design but they come with a port plug so you can 'convert' them to a sealed speaker.

A front ported speaker such as the Infinity Primus would be an option. Not recommending the Primus over the others I've recommended - just suggesting a style of speaker. The P162 dimensions are 14-3/4" x 8-1/4" x 11".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a couple of old NHT Super Ones. What if I got a NHT Absolute Center? The dimensions fit and I love the NHT (now being used for music only on another system).

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul /forum/post/17001940

Huh I guess the smallest Aperion's are sealed. If he has a med or large room those would be tuff. The Elt's are a good suggestion their center even meets your requirements.

The only problem with the ELTs is they are rather inefficient - 86db IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke5 /forum/post/17001995

I have a couple of old NHT Super Ones. What if I got a NHT Absolute Center? The dimensions fit and I love the NHT (now being used for music only on another system).

You never know - they may match up well. I use a pair of Emotiva 8.3s with an AV123 RSC200 center channel. I love the sound and the timbre mis-match is minimal - at least to me.

·
The Village Idiot
9,713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/17002341

The ELT monitor is 83dB.

I'm old and have faulty memory!

I knew they were hard to drive but damn thats pretty low.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tested three NHT Super Ones across the front and ran Audyssey. It set the speakers to "Large" to my surprise but it sounds much richer than the Atlantic Technology 270s. I am going to watch a couple of movies and if I continue to like it, I think I will buy a Absolute Center and see how it goes.

By the way, The Eagles Farewell Tour (Live from Melbourne) DVD in DTS is incredible! All channels are active - makes a great demo.

·
Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/17002386

I'm old and have faulty memory!

I knew they were hard to drive but damn thats pretty low.

I have the set. The center and monitors are rear ported while the towers are front ported.

While they do like power, I have the Onkyo 806 and it's a great match up! I'm looking at other speakers, but, that's because of me ( and my up grade sickness)... nothing to do with the ELT package.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks - the Hsu system looks nice and I've heard good things about their subs. The center speaker is too wide for my small enclosure so I think I'm out of luck there but I appreciate the suggestion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts