AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The color wheel went out on my Planar 7060. It had been squeeling for a while and finally froze. When it froze there was a intense shimmering of the picture and it became a red tint.

I found a replacement color wheel from a Chinese wholesaler. Replaced the color wheel and it seems to spin fine now. Unfortunately it appears that the Green and Blue colors are now missing in the picture. I'm stuck with an intense red tint.

I'm guessing the projector is officially broken as there isn't much else I can replace myself besides the color wheel. I'm curious if any one knows what went wrong though? Are the mirrors frozen that are supposed to flash the other colors? How could I be missing Green and Blue if the wheel is spinning? Does a seizing color wheel commonly aggravate another problem?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have you re adjusted the color settings?

There is only one mirror in your projector so it is most likely not the mirror. Also you Have the other colors they are just not at the correct levels. If the wheel was not spinning you would only have red. The replacement may not be the correct RGB for the projector. In that case you need to adjust the color individually and try to get them correct.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Color comes from the color wheel. Without it, the image is black & white. The image you posted does not look like any color wheel I've seen. Did it match up EXACTLY like your old wheel? If not, it was NOT the correct one. It has to be EXACTLY the same. The same number of defined segments, the same number of colors and in the same order.

This is what a color wheel SHOULD look like, although not necessarily yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried turning the red up and down in settings and also turning blue up and down but it didn't seem to make a difference. It appears that blue is completely missing.

Sheridan: The color wheel has the same part number and manufacturer. Same motor, same number of colors and same order. The only slight difference is that the wheel itself is about millimeter larger.

Another puzzle piece is that right before the last color wheel died the blue color kind of fritzed in and out a few times. But the full spectrum would return back to full and then the wheel died completely. Once the wheel died the picture was stuck on a shimmery red color.

Anyone know if there is like a hard system reset or something like that? Maybe a deeper repair menu that is hidden?

Thanks for reading. I don't really have money for a new pj right now.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
That doesn't sound good. Every DLP projector I've worked on will shut down if the color wheel stops. If the wheel is intact and turning and you have one or more missing colors, that suggests that the image processor or related circuitry has a problem and there is no repairing that. There are no adjustments that can be made that will restore missing colors.

But before I leave it at that, do this...check the projector menu. Is it normal or is it also affected? If it is normal, then the fault is not with the wheel or processor section, but with the input or the source. What is the source and how are you connecting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Sheridan,

Well I stand corrected. You got me thinking so I double checked the new wheel and the colors are actually reversed. Must have been slightly dyslexic the first time I checked.

So I guess there is a good chance that is my issue. Is there a way to take apart the color wheel and flip the disk? I don't see an obvious way to take it apart.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
That's why I am always reluctant to trust overseas vendors. Too often the parts are not correct. I don't believe you can reverse it. Every wheel I've seen is assembled in such a way that any attempts would destroy it. Your best bet is to go back the people you got it from and see if they can get it right. Send them images of the original wheel and the replacement. The correct one will be EXACTLY like yours, right down to the diameter.

Don't tell them you installed it. Remove it and take the pictures. Make them believe it was never used, you discovered the difference as soon as you got it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.