AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help in making a decision from the experts. After getting married and having kids I gave up my nicer/larger home theater equipment and have pretty much been living inside of cans for music. I have Sony MDR-7506's at work and Sennhieser HD575's at home.

Anyways, long story short, wife has opened the gate for me to convert one of the rooms in the house to a home office (on a budget) and I want to use that space as a listening room as well. I picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-04 for $50 on craigs list that is very clean and should be great for just R/L stereo.

The room is 10x13 9 foot ceiling and opens up into the rest of the downstairs.

Speakers wise I'm thinking towers, and I've narrowed it down to these choices for my budget.

Polk R50's (since they are ridiculously cheap at fry's)

Polk Monitor 60's

Great deal on newegg today, specs seem ok, finish is nice.

BIC America Veritas DV64's

Specs seem great in terms of low frequency response.

Premier Acoustic PA-6f's

Finish seems beautiful, leary somewhat since they seem to be a small operation that I'm not sure is still in business, but reviews seem very favorable.

I'm just looking for some towers that can deliver a very musical experience with great imaging and good frequency response on a married with kids guy small budget.

Any thoughts from the pros?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
in the Polk Monitor line up, you might consider Polk Monitor 70's. Much better low end performance than the 60's. The Monitor 50's should probably be used with a subwoofer.

Check pricing on www.newegg.com

You might look into internet dealers on Infinity Primus P362 towers. Very nice 3-way towers for stereo setup.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music new polks were way too bright and harsh for me. Have you checked CL for some used polk SDA or RTA models. It's worth the wait. One of the best smaller models is the SDA 2B. Audiokarma.org is a great resource for recommendations on used stereo speakers that will sound incredible. If you prefer new check out the Energy RC-10 bookshelf and their other RC models. They are warm and neutral if that is your taste.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts