Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the world of CRT projectors, I've just bought a Sony VPH 1251. On the back, where the input cables go, there is a 9 pin D connector that says ANALOG which I assume is for connecting a PC. I have tried making a cable with the pinouts below, and the screen shows the red portion of the image.

9-Pin 15-Pin

Red Video 1 1

Green Video2 2

Blue Video 3 3

Horizontal Sync4 13

Vertical Sync5 14

Red GND 6 6

Green GND 7 7

Blue GND 8 8

Sync GND 9 10 + 11

Also, does anyone know if you can get a universal remote to control the Sony VPH 1251?

·
Registered
16,787 Posts
the 9 pin is old style TTL and will not work .

--- Jason

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
You need a vga to 5bnc cable.

I believe there was a wired remote that just ended on ebay with no buyer for like $20. With a little work following directions on here you can make it an ir remote. Of course you could modify your internal wired remote as well.

Or buy a pronto and don't let it fall on the floor like mine did.

Troy

·
Registered
766 Posts
=)

I can't tell you how many times my Pronto has fallen out of my hands. Those units are really unbalanced, which is a shame.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
the 9 pin is old style TTL and will not work .

--- Jason
I thought those old 9-pin connectors were sometimes analog and sometimes TTL... not so?

Either way, with that connector, the board was probably only built to handle VGA (640x480) at best, right? Or, was it CGA or something...

SC

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought my first projector, a 1251, last June for $500 and a remote for $100. Use the VGA to 5BNC cable. I bought a standard VGA extension cable from the local PC supply and ordered a short VGA to 5BNC cable. The two together go about 12 feet on my installation and work just fine.

I also use a Viewsonic Next Vision 5 tuner/doubler for $150. It passes the VGA from you PC through to the 1251, but also switches composite, cable, SVideo and TV tuner inputs. I spent $30 making my own 100" screen out of 2x2 and sheetrock (works great by the way). So, for less than I spent on my last TV, I have a home theater. This of course made it possible for me to spend money on good speakers and AV receiver equipment without taking out a second mortgage on the house.

This is what I can share with you as a fellow newbie:

1. Get the manuals - there are several free out there. Setting the convergance correctly makes a lot of difference. Take your time and don't be afraid to repeat steps until you see what affects what.

2. I got brave enough to remove the lenses and clean the CRT faces. While this did not make a huge difference, I could clearly see improvement on the image.

3. 1024x768 is about the limit on this projector, so the NV5 is a good fit. This is a cheap doubler, but it makes a very big difference. The image is much more "movie-like" plus you get a cable ready TV tuner that beats the heck out of using your VCR for TV viewing. On a 100 inch 4:3 screen, I clearly saw the scan lines from 12 feet back before, but not with the NV5.

4. Invite your friends over for movie night - expecially those that think they know all about video technology because they read magazines about HDTV while watching their 25 inch TV and dream of $5000+ plasma screens. Give them lots of Goobers, Raisenettes, and popcorn. It makes it easier for them to admit that your "old style" CRT is really very nice to watch after all.

5. Thank your significant other for enjoying the movies with you and not complaining about the living room you just made into your home theater (thanks again, Robbie!).

6. Keep watching this forum! I have learned a great deal of very valuable information here. The folks that responded to my questions were just great. In fact, this forum convinced me to jump into home theater.

7. Check out Netflix - you are going to be watching a lot of movies (can anyone stand to have their commercials so rudely interupted with movie footage on cable anymore?).

8. Use a good BS filter. A good rule of thumb I use is that anyone that thinks speaker spikes and esoteric power wires make a difference should be avoided. I will buy "audiophile grade" power cables and wall sockets as soon as I can find audiophile house wiring, audiophile power pole transformers, and the local power company assures me I am getting power from an audiophile grade generation station.

9. Ignore anyone that goes on a rant about audiophile grade wires and speaker spikes, too!

Have Fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, greatly appreciated. PJ - was your remote a IR or wired one? I'm after an IR remote - I've found a company that will give me a code for their universal remote if I can provide them with a picture of the original remote, or the model No of the original remote. Basically I want to be able to turn it on and off fro the ground without having to climb up, open the control panel and switch it on - call me lazy!

Cheers,

Trev

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Model number on those remotes was pc1270 or pc1271 I think... Or rm1270 and rm1271... something like that, it's been a while.

I doubt you would find a universal remote with these codes as an option.

Troy

·
Registered
98 Posts
My IR remote is the RM-1271. I can assure you there are no "universal" remotes that have the functions you need (convergence). The control panel on top of the 1251 is almost a RM-1271. The only difference is that it gets power from the projector and does not have the IR emitter, using a connecting cable/plug instead. Otherwise they are the same in every way. The advantage of the RM is you can stand right next to the screen during convergence. There is a lesser alternative. Go to http://www.crtcinema.com/main.html. They will sell you a custom cable that lets you wire-remote the control panel in your projector. I tried it, but still prefer the RM. By the way, these folks also have free downloadable installation and operations manuals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'v e been piecing together the same system and have chased down all the parts over the last year....Here's a bit of help

1. Cable VGA to BNC...I believe I got mine from PCCables but I have to check. 25 footer for $30. BetterCables sponsers here too.

2. Sony Rm 1271 remote on EBay for $90...going rate is usually $120 or so, I got lucky.

3. Dazian industries for screen material...really reasonable and live online tech chat.

4. CrtCinema.com is great for help and parts. Always answered my emails and I had a paritial sony ceiling mount that they sold me the rest of the needed parts for. All I did was email a few pics of the parts I had and they completed the mount.

Current setup....Sony 1251, Pioneer THX receiver, Bose AM5 Series II up front and back. JBL Northridge for the center, 14 inch JBl w/400 watt amp sub. HTPC (homebuilt) w/ celeron 2.0, 512 ram, 80 gig wd hardrive, Radeon Pro 9000 card. Sony DVD drive, Techinics CDR, HTPC case with vacumn Florescent display. Motherboard is a Asus PB4 with spdif out so I havent even installed the SB Audigy 2 card (for sale maybe?). So far, so good, just getting the room done.

anything to help dude....good luck.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
trevexa

Is it possible your 1251 has an IFB-20 (I think) input card - the one with the 9 pin input rather than the 5-bnc IFB-10/11/12?

If so, then you are barking up the right tree with your cable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Mark,

Glad to see another Aussie!.

That's right, I don't have the 5 bnc connectors - just the nine pin. Any suggestions greatly welcomed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi,

the IFB20 pinouts are as follows:

> 1 - Ground

> 3 - Red 0.7V +/- 3db, 75 Ohm terminated

> 4 - Green 0.7V +/- 3db, 75 Ohm terminated

> 5 - Blue 0.7V +/- 3db, 75 Ohm terminated

> 8 - Horizontal/Composite sync signal input 0.6-8 V p-p, high impedance

> 9