AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a Benq W1070. Love it and it's been great. Right now I have it on a table next to my seating position.
I want to mount it in my game room. Dimensions are 13.5' from screen to seating and 8' ceilings. I'm projecting a 120" image.
The only problem is that I have a fan right in the line of sight of where the projector would be. I'm attempting to do minimal construction.
I will be replacing the fan with a ceiling hugger with only a cap, no lights. that will bring the lowest fan height 8-8.5" from the ceiling, the blades will be approximately 6.5" from the ceiling. And no, I cannot remove the fan altogether even thought I'd love to, otherwise it'd be a sauna in there. If need be I could probably move the fan over, but would rather not.
My wife and I did some crude measuring where I held the unit as level as possible with the lens shift maxed out and she held the tape measure to see how low the projector needs to be mounted. Based off our experiment I should only have to mount this approximately 5.5" from the ceiling.
The issue is I'd like some to help me understand the numbers on throw distance, since I'm a little confused.
So is this correct? Or am I missing something?
Trying to finish this up with the next month so I can finally get everything situated. Especially now that my kid is walking around.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
While I have to admit straightforward that I'm not intimately acquainted with the "lens shift" specs of the BenQ W1070 (I'm more an Optoma kind of guy) I believe that the better compact DLP projectors essentially do not feature a lens shift in the traditional sense but rather a means to correct these projectors' excessive offset (i.e. you'd usually have to install the projectors horizontally across and above the top edge of your screen).

Ideally, thanks to the "lens shift" you should be able to install the projector right across the screen so that the center of the projection lens is across the top edge of your screen (or - table mounted - across the lower edge of your screen).

As a rule of thumb I would guess that the top edge of the projection lens should be at least 8.5" from the ceiling in order not to hit the ceiling fan obstacle.

You can conduct experiments based on your table mounted situation and take measurements. When you ceiling mount you are merely flipping the results.

Just make certain that the projection lens is definitely across the center of the screen, so the final position of the ceiling mount has to be placed / offset accordingly. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.