AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the following set-up: Polk Monitor 50s (L/R), Polk CS1 (C), and Onkyo 605, Samsung LCD 4661F.

The question I have is regarding my CS1. It's rear-ported but because of space, I put it into the cabinet. What am I missing out on here and how does it effect the sound? I read somewhere that suggested putting an old sock into the port may improve my bass. Is that correct, and what does that serve?

Any other suggestions of where to put the center? I don't want to drill any holes into the wall or mount the TV yet in the case I move or rearrange the room.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If your center channel sounds fine to you (voices sound normal not boxy or hollow) I would leave things as they are. If not try the sock thing to see if that improves your sound.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm just one of those grass is greener on the other side kind of folks, but am I missing out on anything? Sounds OK to me, though there are times when dialogue seems a bit "soft" while everything else coming from the fronts is loud enough. I've even bumped up the center a few dbs. And what does the sock do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I seem to have the same issue with my center channel. Sometimes the dialogue is hard to hear. I have also tried bumping up the center a few dbs. I have a JBL LC1 for my center, and it is also in a cabinet. I guess I'll try the sock thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried putting a sock in my center speaker last night. Aside from my family thinking I have completely lost my mind, there was no difference. I did adjust the "distance" setting on the center channel, adding a couple of feet to the setting, and that did seem to enhance the sound level

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byyoung /forum/post/12892352

The question I have is regarding my CS1. It's rear-ported but because of space, I put it into the cabinet. What am I missing out on here and how does it effect the sound? I read somewhere that suggested putting an old sock into the port may improve my bass. Is that correct, and what does that serve?

The purpose it serves, mainly, in this case, is to block the sound that emanates from your port, which when projected into an enclosed cabinet could cause some excessive and unwanted "boominess" or echo.

A sock is recommended because it is breathable and doesn't block the port completely. The effects of blocking a speaker's port is complex and depends upon how well the speaker's ported design was implemented in the first place. But, basically, blocking a speaker's port reduces its low-end output slightly but at the same time can increase its lwo-end extension. Foam speaker "bungs" are often included with speakers to reduce their low-end output when they are utilized very close to boundaries like walls and specifically corners, which tend to augment a speaker's low-end output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts