Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Good Day to everyone on AVS,

As posted earlier, I am looking to upgrade my sound system. I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5460 powering my prized possesions, my RF-3 II Speakers. I know there is a lot of speakers out there that are a lot better, but I absolutely love them.:)

So, after talking to my very much trusted local dealer, I am looking at buying one of two set ups. I would like your personal opinion of what you think would sound the best. I am definitely about sound quality, but I want OUTPUT. Once again, it will be replacing my home threatre receiver, the Yamaha HTR-5460.

Option 1: Adcom GFP - 710 Preamplifier and Adcom GFA - 5400

Option 2: Marantz Integrated Stereo Reciever PM-7000

The Adcom Pre-Amp and Amp will be around $1400.

The Marantz PM-7000 would be around $550.

So, what would you choose and why? The PM-7000 is 95 watts x 2 and the Adcom Set up would be 125 watts x 2.

I am just looking for opinions, concerns, or ideas from anyone who would like to "direct" me, as I have only been involved in home stereo for about 9 months. At 20 years of age, with college tuition, it's hard to buy nice equipment.:)

So anyone with any input would be appreciated very much!

Good day.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello Pointsourse

The discussion on separates vs receivers has been taken up many times here -- if you search the archives you will find a number of enjoyable and very informative posts over the last 3-4 months.

In your current situation it is hard to make the case for the adcom, which btw is a very fine product. You would probably get a more audible benefit from going with a lower priced receiver, like the Marantz, and upgrading your speakers. If you see yourself evolving over the next couple of years into home theater, an expensive pre-power combo now might not pay off. If you are looking now for output, you might even consider keeping the receiver you have and investing your whole budget in new high efficiency speakers that rock. At this price point the differences between amps are mostly qualitative and a 30W difference in power output will not be audible, but for $1000 you can get some very good speakers.

If you do decide to pursue the amp, buying used will give you much more for your money.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. The efficiency of my speakers are an amazing 98 db, and I absolutely love them to death. They are my prized possesions. :)

Maybe I'll just look into a really good sized Integrated Amplifier. My reciever now is a Home Theatre Receiver (HTR-5460), and I'll look for stereo receivers.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello PointSource

Klipsch, right? They are nice -- I have a pair of Forte II -- and the efficiency gives you great leverage with amps.

I just bought a creek 5350 and when I hooked it up the speakers came alive and sounded like never before, especially the bass, and I have had them for 10 years! Bryston is also strong in here, and both Rotel and NAD have good, lower priced integrated amps.

Cheers, Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.