AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of picking out speakers for my new homethreater. The rooms size is 24x16. I will be getting Denon 3808ci. I am looking to doing a 7.1 system. My budget on speakers is $7000. I know that I should go and listen to the speakers but as many have stated, I just don't have retail stores who carry those speakers. The speakers will be used for watching movies 98% of the time.

I am looking into B&W, PSB, Paradigm etc...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
In that price range I would seriously consider:

B&W

Vienna Acoustics

Dali

Monitor Audio Gold

PSB

Paradigm

All of them in their websites have a dealer finder, were you can enter where you live, and it will give you a list of the nearest stores.

·
Registered
205 Posts
16x26 is probably over 3300 cubic feet. The Denon 3808 is only 130 watts of power per channel, all channels driven is benchmarked at 108 watts per channel. I would look for a higher efficiency speaker than B&W, which are usually 88 db. Klipsch makes a great high efficiency speaker, many find too bright though. Triangle makes a great speaker that is high efficient but also may be bright to some. The Esprit line: Celius main, Noxa Major Center and Khos surrounds would be a great system for your size. Opera also comes to mind allthough less effcient would be great. Quinta mains, Voce center and Mezzo surrounds would not only sound great but would be beautiful to look at.

Vienna Accoustics sound great allthough of their lower line I love the Haydn mini monitor the best. You would probably need the Beethoven's for main and maestro center(The Oratorio center is well worth the price of the upgrade) and Waltz for surrounds. You may need more power than the Denon 3808 with these speakers.

Save plenty of headroom in your receiver.

Looking for a speaker, I prefer silkdome or ribbon tweeters and Mineral filled polymer w, kevlar, carbon or doped paper woofers over hard dome tweeters and metallic woofers. Allthough after a long break in the later smooth out. My experience and two cents.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for all of your input. KY Colonel, I thougnt Denon would do the job. I guess I was wrong. What other choices do have in the Denon price range?

I am going to be looking closely into few of the High efficiency speakers that are mentioned here.

-Klipsch

-Vienna Acc.

-Av123

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1 /forum/post/12953742

Thank you everyone for all of your input. KY Colonel, I thougnt Denon would do the job. I guess I was wrong. What other choices do have in the Denon price range?

I am going to be looking closely into few of the High efficiency speakers that are mentioned here.

-Klipsch

-Vienna Acc.

-Av123

B&K is an expensive alternative, so is Anthem. Both excellent brands. You will be better with separates amp/pre combo. As a middle ground I would check NAD, but in the lower price range there are great alternatives from Emotiva ( www.emotiva.com ), and Integra.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hate to sound like a salesman since I'm accountant. I have a basement for of old HT equipment, mainly speakers. My wife asks why I ever bought the stuff if it had to be replaced, I reply if I knew then what I know now I would not have bought them in the first place.

Seperates are the most expensive up front but the best value in the long run. If you buy a Bryston, BK, Anthem, Cary or Lexicon amp you will have them forever only having to upgrade pre/pro as new formats come out.

Check Outlaw Audio. They make a good equipment, great price and made in the USA. They have a 200 watt 5 and 7 channel amps and the pre/pro is only 699.00. They have a new one that's great but more money. This amp will last till you get bored with it. They get great reviews and win awards, maybe not as transparent as the earlier mentioned but a great value, better than any receiver made. Takes few months to break in.

I think you need 200 watts per channel for the size, unless you go with some insanely effecient speaker such as Klipsch than will run of a flea watt SET. Then you may not like a horn loaded speaker for it's brightness.

Then tailor your speakers to your personal taste. The advice here is spot on after accounting for brand loyalty. Speakers and source have the most impact to the quality sound, based upon the number of post in these forums.

If you look at the Venna Acoustics I would look at the Haydn or the Beethovens. I don't care much for the Bach's or Mozarts, they seem too fat and not very accurate. The Haydn's have always blown me away with their imaging and soundstage for a mini monitor, there's a lot of competition at this price point.

Paradigm is a great speaker. The Studio line will work well.

For PSB check out specials at Upscale Audio. Kevin Deal (Uncle Kev) does a lot of group buys with the PSB Platinum line as well as the Opera and Triangle lines. My experience and two cents.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will I be ok with The Emotiva Professional Theater Series-DMC-1 & MPS-1?

and I am looking at Klipsch RF-83s and Vienna acoustic.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If I remember the Emotiva MPS-1 is 200 watts. That will drive any speaker. You won't be be restricted to Klipsch or Vienna. You could easlily drive B&W speakers with that power for your room.

It's the right direction, seperates are always less veiled then receivers. More dedicated power supplies and less noise. I believe the Emotiva is a Jfet/Mosfet which really is a nice pushpull amp.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1 /forum/post/12957534

Will I be ok with The Emotiva Professional Theater Series-DMC-1 & MPS-1?

and I am looking at Klipsch RF-83s and Vienna acoustic.

Yes, you will do very well with that Emotiva package, plus they will drive most speakers out there, without sweat.

Audition both, Klipsch and Vienna...Personally, I believe you will find Vienna a "sweeter" sounding speaker.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, they don't have any of MPS-1.

I see that they have a combo deal.

MMC-1 and IPS-1.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1 /forum/post/12959892

Damn, they don't have any of MPS-1.

I see that they have a combo deal.

MMC-1 and IPS-1.

They will be receiving their newer series around April, as they are adding HDMI 1.3, and other features. But, call them and talk to a live salesperson, maybe they have cancelled orders or returns that don't show in their stock.

MMC-1 and LPS-1 is a very good combo. MMC-1 and MPS-2 is a killer combo.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With your speaker budget, you should seriously consider adding room treatments. Spending 7k on speakers for an untreated room is like buying a brand new corvette and putting skinny all season tires on it. Putting 1 or 2k of your budget to room treatments will give you far better sound than if you were to double your speaker budget and put the entire amount towards speakers.

Also, if you feel the need to add an external amp, you could check the used market. Another option: Buy a used 3 channel amp for your front speakers and use the Denon amp to power the surrouds. Still another option: Get the Denon and see how it does powering your speakers before plunking down the extra $$ for an amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts