AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new subscriber in Boston (Beacon Hill). I have a 50†HD Pioneer 503CMX Plasma. I have full rooftop availability with an unobstructed view (i.e. I am up on the hill). I am looking for the best solution to TV: Local, Network and HD.

I gather there is limited HD programming and little local stations on SAT. I also understand that given my locations, OTA will likely be my best source for local, network and HD. Having said that, I should keep open the option of DirectTV and/or cable for additional programming down the road.

Since the Plasma does not have a tuner, and I would prefer not to have several tuners, I believe I should find a combo unit for these three signals (or at least OTA and DirectTV, if cable will become less relevant). The PQ will be very important with this high-resolution plasma.

I am also concerned about this whole copy protection issue, which could render current tuners obsolete, too quickly.

Also, the idea of high-quality recording of shows might be nice to keep as an option, but at this point it is not something I do.

Given all of this, what tuner(s) should I get? If it matters, I may get a scaler (Focus, Faroudja or the Leeza). Someone who knows much more than I, suggested I wait until the new Samsung’s come out in a month, or so (SIR-T165 and SIR-T160).

Finally, what antenna should I get? From whom? And how do I find an installer? TitanTV.com recommended an Antennacraft AC-9. It appears Radio Shack will provide an installer.

Thanks very much

--Caleb

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, ccclapp, I was just about ready to compose almost exactly the same inquiry! I'll look forward to the responses. (I have the Pio 1000HD (three weeks old), I purchased it after extensive research (I thought) but before I discovered this forum and the discussion of the "identicalness" of the two (other than price)(oh well, the Ushi (or whatever) frame looks great in our setup).

Dr. Don--I thought a number of boxes combine OTA and Sat, what does the Zenith add to the equation?

I, too, had heard that one should wait for the new Samsungs, but I can't find the thread in which I read that or the link to info on the new Samsungs.

While the Copyprotection issue won't affect OTA HD, won't it have an impact on Sat HD and potentially 'obsolete' that portion of your combined OTA/sat HD receiver?

Finally, a reaffirmation of my newbie understanding is requested--I need a new eliptical dish if I want HD reception (I have an old dish running a new TIVO DirecTV receiver). If I want Showtime HD, I have to get the Sat C kit to add to the eliptical dish. Currently, other than Spanish language stations, there is nothing else I would need the Sat C stuff for. Do I have this right? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
ccclapp:

If you're planning to use a scaler, be aware that they typically work with 480i input only. This means you can only pass interlaced signals, such as S-Video, composite, and interlaced output from a DVD player.

For high definition, they can pass through the signal, but don't process it. I connect my satellite high definition output directly to input 2 on my 503CMX from the receiver's component outputs and get a gorgeous picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.