AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up a Nvidia 6200 with 7-pin tv out to my mits 46 HDTV using the component adapter and am having problems getting the right resolution. I've been able to get to 1080i and everything looks fine except the font on the screen is so small, its kind of a problem. I had always been able to get 720X480 with an old 5200 card via its VGA out to a RGBHV cable. Any way to get this resolution with TV out or am I stuck with either 1080i or 480p? I like using the tv out to component as I can use my reciever to switch the video - couldnt do it with the RGBHV and I only have one HD input on the TV.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that. Problem is that when I select my tv as a 1080i HDTV in the NVIDIA setup, all I can get is 1080i. If I try to get powerstrip to give me a lower resolution like 720X480, it shrinks the viewable area on the screen. The result is a 720X480 view but with 8 inches of black all the way around the desktop. All it really does is gvie you a 720x480 screen within a 1080i frame.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Have you tried 720p ([email protected])?

What is the native resolution of your TV if it is a digital technology TV?

If your TV is a CRT TV are you able to adjust the scan line? If so what are the scan options?

If you can output to the TV at 1080i can you set your PC desktop to a lower resolution?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The TV is a 1080i projection, so the 720p wont work unfortunately. Once I put the TV in 1080i mode (via the NVIDIA setup), I can lower the resolution with powerstrip or with the normal display settings, but all it does is shrink the desktop. Like I said, its putting a 720X480 picture in a 1080i frame.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The S-Video standard is 4:3 aspect ratio 480i and the graphics cards only send an image of your desktop over S-video by using a scan converter chip. Only a few graphics cards can scan convert a desktop of 1024x768 most are limited to scan converting 800x600.

So if you are convering S-Video to component you will never get any better detail then SD 480i.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.