AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be off the subject, but I have to try...

I've got an Ipod connected via an 1/8" headphone to rca cord into a denon reciever. My speakers sound fine with the ipod, but when I hook the 1/8" headphone to rca cord into the output of my computer, I get a very loud distinct buzz from my speakers.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

(the 1/8" wire is extended using cat5 wire, then terminated with standard rca connections on the other end)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Could be a bad splice. You move the wire, the jointed section shifts and shorts. Are you trying to play thru the PC speakers?

Why are you connected to the "out" on the PC? I would think you'd connect to the "in" on the sound card.

Use a solid wire, or certainly something other than cat5 (PIA) to splice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm connected to the out, because I want to hear whatever I am playing on the computer.

No, I am not playing through PC speakers. I have a pair of Paradigm studio 40's connected to a denon receiver/amplifier.

I don't think the splice is bad, because the sound is fine when connected to an Ipod. Crisp clear sounding. The problem is when I connect the same 1/8" connecting to my computer.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
What sound card do you have? Computers with poor sound cards can exhibit a very high noise floor. But it could simply be a grounding issue, though I know nothing of grounding, hopefully someone can expand on it. Think the words, hum and ground loop come to mind.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yeah, it sure sounds like a ground loop. Is the PC on a different outlet than the stereo?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Try running a separate wire from your computer case (metal part like the power supply) and connect it to the ground (or metal part) on your receiver.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Weaver
Running the wire from the case to the receiver worked... thank you greatly!

-Bob Weaver
I am glad to hear it fixed it!

Contrary to popular wisdom this was not a ground loop but just the opposite a floating ground.

Floating grounds are really more common than ground loops. The systoms are the same (60Hz buzz hear in audio) but the cure is not to float everything, that just adds to the problem and can creat a real safty hazzard, but to ground everything.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
When connecting a PC to a "stereo" it is a good idea to use either a digital output (i found a 20$ card with both Optical and Coaxial) or connect through a DI.

Search for DI box on ebay in the Pro Audio category and you can find many options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.