AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an Ampro 2000D that I have now converged and I've got it working okay connected to my Onkyo DVD player through both the s-video or composite inputs on the Ampro.

I'm interested in connecting the projector to my laptop and a P4 desktop for improved DVD playback and other stuff.

With the Ampro, I got a used Extron RGB 118 plus unit with the 9 pin universal input and a 4 wire BNC output.

I'm not sure that the RGB 118 plus is even working correctly. When I plug it in, the red or green lights on the face come on and take turns flashing. I've tried to use the SRI function to measure horizontal and vertical frequencies of my TV to see if that worked, but I couldn't get it to do more than light the red or green lights and sometimes put single digit numbers in the LCD display when it first powers on, so I really don't know if the unit is good or not.

Last night I tried to plug the unit into my laptop. I built a cable with a 9 pin connector on one end that connects into the universal input of the RGB 118 and on the other end I haven't yet put on the 15 pin connector that connects into the 15 pin monitor output of the laptop (have had trouble soldering that one on).

Here's the pin out of the cable I'm building:

DB9 (Barco)............................HD15 (VGA/SVGA)

1) not connected.......................

2) Red ground(coax shield).............6)

3) RED signal..........................1)

4) GREEN signal........................2)

5) BLUE signal.........................3)

6) Green ground(coax shield)...........7)

7) Blue ground(coax shield)............8)

8) Horizontal Sync.....................13)

9) Vertical Sync.......................14)

I got it from this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...874#post635874

What I tried last night was to take the bare wires on the end where the 15 pin connector will go and I just pushed them into the correct holes of the 15 pin female connector of the laptop.

When I did this, the RGB 118 unit started putting on the LCD display what appeared to be quite random numbers (3 digits) and it was clicking audibly. Kind of weird.

When connecting the 4 wire BNC cables to the projector RGB input I couldn't get any signal to go to the projector. The RGB 118 didn't click after I connected the BNCs.

On the Ampro I tried changing the "Source" to RGB, but that didn't seem to help. I tried changing through the channels that have been validated in the Ampro to see if any would sync, but nothing happened.

I'm still pretty shaky with how to set up channels and things on the Ampro. I do have the owner's manual, and have read through it a couple times, but I still don't completely understand, although I think I have been able to get one channel set up and validated for the s-video/composite input from the Onkyo DVD player. Of course this is just running at 480i.

Any help is appreciated!

Matt

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

You could have any of several problems here. First, your PC graphics card may need to see certain pins of the HD15 plug shorted to ground (ID bits) to tell it that a display device is attached, or the video might not switch on. Some laptops also require keyboard commands to activate the video card. Some laptops must be plugged into an AC power adapter or the video card won't switch on. Your Extron device may need repair. The 118's input is high impedance and the signal lines will need a 75 ohm load to ground, or the input will be overloaded, the image will distort. The scan rate of your PC may exceed the scan capabilities of the Ampro 2000D; do we know what those units can scan to?

Tim at E-Tech Phoenix

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Tim. Let me give some more info to see if we can isolate the problem here. I've connected the laptop to an external CRT monitor before without having it plugged into AC power, so I don't believe that there are any external keyboard commands required or a requirement of AC power. When I connected the laptop to the projector last night it was plugged into AC power. The Ampro is only good to 56kHz, and I'm not sure how to tell what the laptop monitor output is sending. Currently the laptop LCD display is a 800x600 and 60 Hz.

If everything were working right, when I connect the BNCs to the projector should it automatically lock on the signal or is there more required?

What would you recommend?

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
According to the RGB118+ manual. The pin-outs are as follows on the 9-pin input:

Pin #1 Ground

Pin #2 Not Connected

Pin #3 Red

Pin #4 Green

Pin #5 Blue

Pin #6 Not Connected

Pin #7 Not Connected

Pin #8 Horizontal/Composite Sync

Pin #9 Vertical Sync

You may want to buy a cable already made from Extron and save yourself from the hassle of soldering and inevitably getting burned (I can't solder without burning myself at least once!).

When in doubt call the manufacturer for trouble-shooting. Extron has great support!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Serlin. I'd like to go ahead and try the pinout you gave and see if that works. What do the DB15 pins correspond to? You've given me the DB9 assignments, but now which DB9 pins do I connect to which DB15 pins?

I did see this pinout (the one you posted) in the RGB 118 manual, but it only has the assignments on the DB9 side also (no info on how to wire them to the DB15 connector).

Thanks,

Matt

PS- I've ordered a VGA to BNC breakout cable from a2zcables so at least I'll be able to isolate if my problem is the Extron unit or something else, but it won't be here for at least a week (backordered with other items).

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Pin-outs for a typical VGA/XGA 15HD connector are as follows:

Pin #1 Red

Pin #2 Green

Pin #3 Blue

Pin #4 ID Bit

Pin #5 Self Test

Pin #6 Red Return

Pin #7 Green Return

Pin #8 Blue Return

Pin #9 No Pin (Not used)

Pin #10 Ground

Pin #11 ID Bit

Pin #12 ID Bit

Pin #13 H Sync

Pin #14 V Sync

Pin #15 ID Bit

(ID Bits are pins that are used for the computer to identify the monitor. They are not necessary with most of today's computers. Some exceptions are Apple and some laptops.)

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Some manufacturers have great info on their website. Here is the link to the pin-outs listed above.

http://www.extron.com/technology/arc...id=gcpinconfig

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serlin, if I were to attempt an adapter from these pin assignments how would you connect them? I can see that the Red, Green, and Blue should go together and the H and V sync should go together. Should I leave 6 and 7 of the DB9 connector empty? What about pin 1 on the DB9? It is "ground." Should I connect it to pin 10 of the DB15 (also "ground.")?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Matthew,

I strongly recommend that you buy one. There is more going on with these input cables than simple pin to pin connections.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like what I should do is go ahead and buy one. Serlin, would the best way be to contact Extron and tell them what I want to do and see what cable adapter they recommend?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just call Extron (800-633-9876) and explain your application and they should be able to spec the cable and find a local dealer for you to purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.