90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system includes:

TiVo

VCR

DVD

A/V Receiver (Dolby 5.1, etc)

HD-ready widescreen 50" TV

The TiVo installation diagrams say to run all audio and video thru the A/V Receiver...with only ultimately a single connection heading into the TV from the receiver.

The TV and DVD manuals show hooking the video to the TV and the audio to the receiver.

Here's what I think I want to do:

DVD: Video (component) directly to TV; audio directly to A/V Receiver

TiVO: Video (S-video) directly to TV; audio to A/V receiver

VCR: Video (RCA) to TV; audio to A/V receiver

Is this a preferable method to optimize the video quality (rather than sending everything first through the A/V receiver. (I'm sure this is the case for the DVD, since the A/V Receiver cant accomodate the 3 component video cables).

Thanks!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes, this optimizes video quality. The purpose of running video through a receiver is for ease of use - less remotes/button presses to switch sources. It also allows you to see the volume, etc. on screen as you're watching a program.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you have a programmable remote and your TV has discrete IR signals for each video input, then, from a users point of view, the ease of use is identical. With 1 push button on the remote, the remote can change the source on the receiver and change the video input on the TV.

Without programable remotes, your worst case option will be to press the input button on your receiver remote and then grap the tv remote and generally cycle through the inputs till you get to the one you want. Sometimes this is hard to explain to Grandma who want to put in a Barney video for the kids. Generally the kids can help her though. :)

Basically, I do both. My VCR and Tivo are connected via the s-video switching on the receiver. MY HD receiver and DVD player are connected to the TV directly. My receiver does not have component switching anyway.

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Yes, component is better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.