Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I'm having trouble hooking up my DVD player with my Receiver. My dad did all the connections himself, but he is currently on vacation and I am anxious to test out my SACD and DVD-Audio stuff.

I have a DENON AVR-3300 receiver and a SAMSUNG DVD-HD841 player. How do I make the connections for 5.1 channel??

Is the optical or coaxial good enough?

Any help will be appreciated!!! :D

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
For DVD-A or SACD you need to use the 6 analog cables. The signal will not travel over the digital connection.

Just get 6 RCA audio cables and you will be all set!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, now when i play it from my receiver, what are the settings supposed to be? like there are pcm, dts etc etc...

and does the system automatically configure the speakers or do i set it up myself??

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Don't mean to sound callous, but have you read any of the setup / operator manuals?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_dipaolo
okay, now when i play it from my receiver, what are the settings supposed to be? like there are pcm, dts etc etc...

and does the system automatically configure the speakers or do i set it up myself??
What surround mode you use is up to you and the signal your source material is decoded in. If you're playing DD 5.1 or DTS, use that setting on your AVR. For two channel music, most prefer DPL IIx. Use PCM for two channel music, if you prefer.

Depending on your AVR, it should sense and decode whatever signal you choose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay, i'm really confused. yes i did read the denon manual and it doesn't get SPECIFIC as to WHERE to connect the cables for 5.1...

there are "pre-out" slots where i can connect cables to... are these the one's i need to connect to my dvd player???

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
okay, i'm really confused. yes i did read the denon manual and it doesn't get SPECIFIC as to WHERE to connect the cables for 5.1...

there are "pre-out" slots where i can connect cables to... are these the one's i need to connect to my dvd player???
No, the "pre-out" slots should be for sending a signal that is not amplified to another device (like sending the Low Frequency Channel to a powered subwoofer, you would use the "sub" pre-out.)

You need to find the analog inputs. They will be RCA connections, just like your pre-outs, but labeled as inputs and not outputs. There should be 6, one for Right, Left, Center, Surround Right, Surround Left, and Sub.

Once you have these hooked up, your receiver needs to know to use the analog inputs rather than any digital inputs (like optical or coax). On my Denon 3805, there is an INPUT selection that lets me go to EXT. IN. (Confusing way to label the Analog Inputs. Maybe your model uses the same terminology.)

If your receiver shows the signal as DTS or PCM, that is a digital signal and it is not playing from the analog inputs.

Once you get things squared away, you will want to hook up a digital audio cable, because your Denon receiver will decode better than the universal DVD player. Only do this AFTER you do the above connections. ONLY AFTER YOU HOOK UP THE ANALOG AND GET IT RIGHT, then you should get either a coax or optical digital cable and connect your dvd player to the receiver with it. If you play regular cd's or dvd's, you will want to use the digital input (PCM, DTS, etc.) to let the Denon receiver produce the sounds. When you play SACD or DVD-Audio, you will want to use the analog connection, because your Samsung DVD player has to be the one to decode the disk and send the signal to the receiver through analog connections.

Good luck!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
AHHH!!!! I see the inputs!!!

There are 8 tho!

I'm not familiar with SR, SL and ER, EL... which are the rear ones??
Forget the rear ones.

Turn to page 12 in your manual. If you don't have one, go to this link:
Denon AVR3300 Manual

Your SACD and DVD-Audio discs are not recorded in 7.1 channel, so ignore the fact that there are 8 inputs. You need to use the ones I mentioned above, with SR and SL being "surround right" and "surround left".

I didn't have a chance to look through the manual (which I highly advise you stop and do), but it looks like your receiver also refers to these inputs as "external in", or "ext in". Read up on how to select the Ext In input during playback.

That should be it! Next step - get a copy of Dark Side of the Moon on SACD, and enjoy a whole new world.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Actually, I found it.

Read page 38. It will tell you how to switch between sources and select the EXT IN as your source.

(Now you might want to get a Logitech Harmony remote, and it will automate switching between inputs when you go from a movie to an SACD. I LOVE mine.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so everything is connected now...

So, if I put in a SACD or a DVD-A (in multi-channel) and select EXT IN. on my remote, I'm getting the sound the way I should??

Also, my receiver has been acting up. I've never noticed this before, but it'll shut off automatically for no reason.

AND when I'm in test mode, and when the sound is about to come out of SL, it shuts off!

What's going on??

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Also, my receiver has been acting up. I've never noticed this before, but it'll shut off automatically for no reason.
Sounds like a short in the system. Check the wiring on you speaker connections on the back of the receiver and make sure that no strands of wire are touching each other or the chassis.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Quote:

AND when I'm in test mode, and when the sound is about to come out of SL, it shuts off!

What's going on??
There's something wrong with the SL speaker connection. Check it, then double check it...then triple-check it! A receiver will do this when it senses a short circuit, and it doesn't take much.

Look for stray wire strands bridging the gap (short circuiting) both at the speaker and the receiver. If you can't find anything obvious there, you may want to swap the speaker out with another one, say the SL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.