AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop has a blu-ray player with PowerDVD 8. The laptop and Xbox 360 are both connected to a 22” 1680 x 1050 Dell Ultrasharp 2209wa. When I view high definition trailers on the Xbox through Zune Marketplace, Xbox let’s me crop the image to the center so that the video covers the entire monitor and there are no black bars but the aspect ratio is preserved. I actually like this. I have no problem with (1) the technical loss of image quality due to this cropping (2) losing the edges (3) defying the director’s wish. My question to you guys – can I do the same with PowerDVD 8 or is there any other software you can recommend that allows me to crop to the center? Cropping to the center makes high definition much more enjoyable on my tiny monitor. PowerDVD’s digital zoom feature is worthless. I think the “Smart Stretch” features distort although I have not tried a 2.35:1 film yet with “Smart Stretch 2:35”. Last night I watched Inglorious Bastards and the Smart Stretch options were grayed out which I assume because the director demanded the audience view his film in the scope he intended. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
PowerDVD doesn't allow you to zoom when playing Blu-ray. The most you can do is the 'stretch to fit screen' option.

MPC-HC has customizable zoom options, but then you'll need AnyDVD HD to play movies.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by common man /forum/post/18122313

i wish these directors would at least stick with 16:9. That looks fine on my monitor.

Fortunately, many directors are more concerned about composition and the cinematic experience, instead of how something might appear on a computer monitor.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:

i wish these directors would at least stick with 16:9. That looks fine on my monitor.

I wish all artists would use a perfectly square canvas, who needs the Mona Lisa on a rectangular canvas? Just cut the top and bottom off and I'll be happy.

·
Premium Member
20,999 Posts

Quote:

I'm going to close your thread now. Since the topic or debate about aspect ratio's has been discussed MANY times before, I'll ask that we take the discussion to an existing thread.

Thanks

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.