AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a HT problem but I was hoping for some help nonetheless...

My friend is getting married next month. The dinner will be inside this renovated room with all concrete walls. Features:

- 90 x 30 feet big

- ceiling height roughly 8 feet (low!)

- roughly 100 guests are expected

- There is no dry wall or other material on the walls. All concrete.

- The ceiling has a layer of styrofoam type material, I am unfamiliar with how thick that layer is.

This is a room that will be used for storage after the wedding is over. I am looking for low-cost, temporary solutions to help mitigate the horrible accoustics that are in there as of now. So far I have:

- placed as many mattresses as I could fit in each of the four corners (does this even help? I am guessing the lower frequency's are gonna be the killer here, and they don't weigh that much.)

- Placed rugs on the floor, the heaviest ones I could find. There are about 20 of them, covering the floor along the side walls all the way around. Still, this is only perhaps 1/8th of the total floor area.

I was thinking of building bass traps as well, but don't want to put to much time or money into it if there are other ways. Everything will all be thrown away after the event.

How bad will this be if we don't do anything more? Will conversations be virtually impossible, or at least very tireing?

Any alternative suggestions? Things I could do? Keep in mind it has to look decent as well, and I can't place stuff in the middle of the room that would obstruct the vision to the scene (seating will be in a horseshoe sort of...)

Thanks,

Thomas

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
throw some fiberglass bales, still in the wrapper, around the room and take them back when you are done?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.