AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My replay(it's a 4080) was working fine and one day while I was watching a show it froze up. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine. The next day when I turned it on a screen was up saying that I couldn't use it again until I activated it. I have the lifetime activation so I called tech support and they said they'd fix it from their end. It still didn't work so I tried the 243-zones and it said it couldn't connect and that it would try again later. The next day it still wasn't working so I unplugged it, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. The power light would blink for a few minutes and then it would turn on and have the same activation screen up. I then tried leaving it unplugged for about a day and when I plugged it back in the light was blinking and now that's all it does and I can't get it to turn on. The tech support people at replay said my HD is dead and that I have to replace it. If that's true than that's fine, but my question is, is there any way to get the recorded shows off the HD and backed up somewhere, or is there any way to tell if this problem can be fixed without losing my recorded shows? Any help with this would be great!

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are several things you can do if the Hard Drive isn't completely hosed. If you have your replay connected to a home network, you can download DVArchive which will allow you to pull off the shows from your replay. You can read about and download DVArchive here: http://www.dvarchive.org/

If your replay isn't networked, but you have some technical ability, you can open up the replay and put the hard drive in your computer and copy the shows off using the RTVPatch software. Check it out here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=17245

If you go the RTVPatch route, and your 4080 isn't under warranty, then you can just get a new hard drive and replace the drive yourself using this tool.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ty so much for the info and the links! Hopefully I can get something working here soon. You don't realize how much you relied on your replay til it's gone. :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Too true. I had the same thing happen to me on my 4540 a couple of years ago. But the forum helps out. That's what we're here for. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the same problem just couple of weeks ago. I would definitely say to you unless you really know what you are doing. They are several websites that you can go through and just get a new drive and basically plug it in.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach817
If I plug the dvr hd into my pc is there any chance of it messing up anything on my pc? :confused:
It shouldn't mess anything up on your pc. But if you aren't comfortable opening up your PC and placing drives in there, then I would suggest you first try DVArchive. If that doesn't work, then you might want to get someone else to do it for you. Or as chill suggested, just buy a drive from someone here, but you'll lose your shows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.