AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HCJ552W (55" widescreen) that is just about dead in the water and I figured I'd take a stab at getting advice. In service mode (while the TV is off, press Mute-1-8-2-Power to enter this mode), there is a menu called "Options." When selecting the "Options" menu, one can enter two hexidecimal values into memory locations labeled "Byte 0" and "Byte 1." The service manual (a multi-model manual that appears to be written for a 4:3 TV instead of my widescreen) specifies that Byte 0 should be "10" and Byte 1 should be "00." I have configured my TV that way, but lose the operational menu option to set the aspect ratio of the displayed picture to "Normal" (4:3) or "Wide" (16:9). When I set Byte 1 to "01" instead, this operational "aspect ratio" menu comes back. Unfortunately, these memory locations are somehow getting corrupted when a "hard reset" occurs (e.g., power outage or unplug TV). After such a hard reset, Byte 0 reads "71" and Byte 1 reads "44". Even more troubling is that the TV eventually stops responding to the remote and to the front panel controls. I now have a 200-pound, $3,500 paperweight in my basement. Needless to say, I'm pissed. Samsung service reps have tried but been unhelpful to date. Anyone have any advice?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.