AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, long time lurker. Just trying to get some input from y'all about what speakers you recommend for my setup and my preferences. So, I have a "man cave" room that measures 16x30 with 9ft ceilings. MLP is directly in front of the tv about 8-9ft away. I am going for a 5.2.4 setup using 4 bookshelf style speakers mounted on the walls pointing towards mlp for atmos content..due to I cannot cut holes in the ceiling. I will also be using either a svs sub or go the diy route with parts express's Dayton 18 kit. Receiver will be something like the Yamaha A2070bl, X4500, or even a 7.2 with 9.2 processing capabilities if need be.

My main concerns is deciding on my LCR and surround speakers. This room will only be used for movies, college football games or gaming. I do not like "tinny" sounding speakers. I much prefer a more profound dialogue, midrange and midbass. Loud piercing tweeters will give me a headache in a heartbeat.

So what I am after is a warm sounding, accurate set of speakers that are great for movies. I am not set on any one brand and even open to smaller online companies provided they produce good quality equipment. The look of floor standing speakers are more appealing than bookshelf on stands but that's not a big deal. I don't have a total budget for these 5 because I will be piecing them together over the next 4-5 months...but I am all about quality at a good price. I'm not looking for IMAX quality or anything like that so if I had to put a number on it, $300-500 for a center channel. Same price range for a pair of bookshelfs or $1000 for a pair of floor standing L&R. I'm open to spending more but lets not get crazy. I've heard Klipsch reference series and I'm not a fan. RP are getting better and could be equalized to my likings. Elac I've been looking over and seem decent but I haven't heard them in person. Best center channel I've ever heard is a B&W Centre 2 S2 but they're money. I would say I listen to movies fairly loud so good efficiency is needed.

I've attached a drawing of my layout if it matters. Toss out some ideas for me, I appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
For movies and high efficiency, PSA is a really good speaker. They are just over the top end of the budget you provided though. I'm using their mt 110s as left, center, right and really like them. They make towers too if that is what you would prefer.

When buying multiples I believe you get a little bit of discount, so it wouldn't hurt to use the chat feature on their website to check. The customer service is very highly regarded.

Check out the power sound audio thread on the forum here and I think you'll be pleased. Lots of knowledgable people on that thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
LOTS of options out there. You might consider a speaker with an AMT tweeter, such as Golden Ear, Martin Logan, or Emotiva. If you like a warm sound, the Boston Acoustics speakers are being closed out at good prices, check out Crutchfield and Accessories4less. The King of warm is Wharfedale, so you should give them a listen.

Moving towards a more neutral presentation, check out Q Acoustics, RSL, and Monitor Audio. Given that you liked the B&W sound, I would look strongly at Q Acoustics 3050i, 3020i, 3090ci.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Also of note are the Chane ARX and the Tekton.

·
Registered
182 Posts
LOTS of options out there. You might consider a speaker with an AMT tweeter, such as Golden Ear, Martin Logan, or Emotiva. If you like a warm sound, the Boston Acoustics speakers are being closed out at good prices, check out Crutchfield and Accessories4less. The King of warm is Wharfedale, so you should give them a listen.

Moving towards a more neutral presentation, check out Q Acoustics, RSL, and Monitor Audio. Given that you liked the B&W sound, I would look strongly at Q Acoustics 3050i, 3020i, 3090ci.
Isnt there a big sound difference between GE Martin Logan and Emotiva?

Accessories4less has the Cantons too that they swear by...

I like the B&W sound of the 703s but not the price lol

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
First post here, long time lurker. Just trying to get some input from y'all about what speakers you recommend for my setup and my preferences. So, I have a "man cave" room that measures 16x30 with 9ft ceilings. MLP is directly in front of the tv about 8-9ft away. I am going for a 5.2.4 setup using 4 bookshelf style speakers mounted on the walls pointing towards mlp for atmos content..due to I cannot cut holes in the ceiling. I will also be using either a svs sub or go the diy route with parts express's Dayton 18 kit. Receiver will be something like the Yamaha A2070bl, X4500, or even a 7.2 with 9.2 processing capabilities if need be.

My main concerns is deciding on my LCR and surround speakers. This room will only be used for movies, college football games or gaming. I do not like "tinny" sounding speakers. I much prefer a more profound dialogue, midrange and midbass. Loud piercing tweeters will give me a headache in a heartbeat.

So what I am after is a warm sounding, accurate set of speakers that are great for movies. I am not set on any one brand and even open to smaller online companies provided they produce good quality equipment. The look of floor standing speakers are more appealing than bookshelf on stands but that's not a big deal. I don't have a total budget for these 5 because I will be piecing them together over the next 4-5 months...but I am all about quality at a good price. I'm not looking for IMAX quality or anything like that so if I had to put a number on it, $300-500 for a center channel. Same price range for a pair of bookshelfs or $1000 for a pair of floor standing L&R. I'm open to spending more but lets not get crazy. I've heard Klipsch reference series and I'm not a fan. RP are getting better and could be equalized to my likings. Elac I've been looking over and seem decent but I haven't heard them in person. Best center channel I've ever heard is a B&W Centre 2 S2 but they're money. I would say I listen to movies fairly loud so good efficiency is needed.

I've attached a drawing of my layout if it matters. Toss out some ideas for me, I appreciate it!
For your intended purpose and budget, an HSU hybrid 3 package (you'll need the big sub due to room size) would be a good option. They're reasonably efficient and will provide clear and detailed sound. If the 5.1 package is too far out of budget, go with 3.1 and get the surrounds and 2nd sub later.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hppkg.html

·
Registered
21,463 Posts

Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer.

Always best to listen for yourself rather than trust "some guy on the internet" recommending speakers with a return policy that has you paying the return shipping, possibly also the shipping to you and sometimes a restocking fee on top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you located in case there is a local speaker maker near you or an excellent well known retailer.

Always best to listen for yourself rather than trust "some guy on the internet" recommending speakers with a return policy that has you paying the return shipping, possibly also the shipping to you and sometimes a restocking fee on top.
Kansas City but I travel all over the eastern half of the country for work. If there is anything in Nashville, the Midwest, DC Metro or down in Georgia...that’s where I spend the most of my time. I’ve been looking at PSA really hard on recommendation by BryceDH. Out of my budget but they seem solid and exactly what I’m after. I like the industrial, old school, look to them and I’ve only heard good things about Tom and how he runs his business. The 110s for LCR or swap the center for a 210c might be in the works. Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Might want to look into Polk LSiM's as well. The LSiM 705's can be had for 600 each, the 704c center channel goes for under 300 and the 703 book shelf speakers (can be used as rear surrounds or fronts) go for 300 each on Adorama. Do a search and read some reviews. I think they are pretty great for movies from my experience, but it does help to power them with a decent amp to get the best sound out of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Franklin, Tenn is on my way home usually, thanks for that heads up. I will give them a call for sure!
And @BryceDH I got your pm but can’t respond due to post count. But yes I’m interested, just want to look at some more options before I make my decision.

·
Registered
292 Posts
No problem! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,463 Posts
Franklin, Tenn is on my way home usually, thanks for that heads up. I will give them a call for sure!
And @BryceDH I got your pm but can’t respond due to post count. But yes I’m interested, just want to look at some more options before I make my decision.
Excellent.

Here are others:

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS