Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm interested in the Yamaha NS Speaker Series, specifically the 777 floorstanding speakers. Unfortunately I do not have any local dealers that stock these speakers so I can't demo in person. I know a few people own this speaker and have liked them a lot. I got a hold of a used pair of NS-A200XT to see how they sound. On paper, they seem similar but again, there are also differences. Specs are here...

Yamaha's NS-A200XT full-size, floor-standing loudspeakers represent some of the finest engineering from a premium speaker manufacturer. This three-way tower boasts dual 8-inch aluminum woofers, and it utilizes a front-ported bass reflex design that provides a solid low end down to 35Hz. The woofer and mid-range drivers, which are also constructed out of aluminum, both use an inverted aluminum dust cap that helps disperse the sound, for a wider, more spacious stereo image--even when stereo speakers are placed closer together than optimum. The NS-A200XT is magnetically shielded, so speakers can be placed next to your TV screen without distorting the picture or damaging the picture tube. Gold-plated five-way binding posts make for clean connections. Featuring an attractive black-finished cabinet with a gray baffle, this speaker will fit into any décor. Rated with a nominal power input of 110 watts, 220 watts of music power, and a frequency response of 35Hz to 20 kHz, this high-end speaker produces a wonderfully clear sound.

I hooked these to my receiver, a HK 435 and they sound very unimpressive to me. Very flat, lacking midbass and the mids and highs aren't very discrete.

So I worry about the NS-777 since yamaha makes both. The key differences is that the 200XT uses aluminum drivers while the 777 are PMD's. Also the 200 uses a 4 " midrange instead of a 5.25 midrange on the 777.

I'd appreciate any advice or personal experience with either of these speakers! thanks

Victor

·
Registered
849 Posts
I own the NS-555s which have smaller dual 6.5" woofers vs. the dual 8"s in the NS-777. I am very, very happy with my 555s I use them in my HT for movies and to listen to music. I use them with a Yamaha 5890 and the sound is very clear and crisp. When listening to 2-channel stereo without a sub the lower end bass feqs.(below 60hz) are kind of light, but mid bass is powerful, tight and clean. The bass is impressive for the size of the speakers and you can feel it, but any lack of lower end in the 555 shouldn't be a problem in the 777s with the larger 8" woofers.

I have my 555s bi-wired for the best sound. When I first hooked them up I was really impressed with the sound, vibrant highs and descent lows. In music I thought vocals really came alive with my 555s. On top of the impressive performance of these speakers IMO they are some of the classiest looking speakers I've seen with the slick high gloss piano finish and silver accents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and bought a pair of the NS-777. And after hooking them up, i was clearly NOT disappointed. They do sound great, and w/o the subwoofer, they still produce great midbass as well as mids and highs. They are also beautiful looking speakers and the look and sound are nothing like the ones I mentioned above that I got used. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have NS-555 and they are really good. A very good friend of mine...saw my set up and decided to do one better and get the NS-777 and they are good too. Off course his living room is 2x bigger than my 16 x 16 living room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.