AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've decided I want a Plasma Screen TV, I'm currently using an older 42" Phillips LCD and as a method of celebrating the acquisition of my first home I've decided to buy not one, but TWO TV's. But I'm conflicted
I've been lurking around here reading threads for a few weeks and I'm nervous about jumping the gun with a large purchase like this.

So, I initially looked at the TH-58PZ800U, I got a guy at Video Only to drop the price to 2739$ (I should mention that I'm buying two, maybe he'll drop it more) which fits within my 6,000$ budget for two TV's. However... now I'm wondering if this is the right TV for me. Should I go with a smaller size and get better quality or keep the size and just be content with the Panasonic?

One TV will be upstairs in my bedroom, limited light, primarily used for gaming but also for a lot of movie watching (Blue Ray likely as I have a PS3, or streamed over my network), the viewing distance will be 5-10', no more than that.

The second TV will be downstairs in my very small living room, same viewing distance, a little bit more light but that can be fixed with blackout curtains pretty easily. (The TV Will have to be in front of two windows anyway). This one will primarily be used for gaming again (I entertain a lot of nerds, 4 networked 360's and PS3's in different rooms) and for the occasional group movie and I will likely put a better home theater sound system downstairs than I will in my own room. (Then again who knows).

I like the size, I'm the only one in my family to ever have a TV over 36" so they all think I'm crazy when I talk about buying a bigger one than I have but to be honest my eyesight isn't as great as it was when I was younger so the bigger the better, Ha! I want something between 52 and 60", prefer plasma because of the viewing angles, entertaining a bunch of gamers means people sit in a lot of odd places so everyone needs to be able to see the screen.

Anyway, any advice would be welcome, I "had" my heart set on the TH-58PZ800U but I suffer from buyers remorse and anxiety a lot and I want to make absolutely sure I'm making the best possible decision. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mentioned that when I got him to drop the price down from 3700$ (He was price matching an Amazon.com reseller that had it listed at 2600$) but he was complaining about quality of service, how you never know what you're gonna get, warranty's, delivery damage etc etc but I also know he was working on commission lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/15504803

I think those Plasma screens have an edge over LCD. But that's not important right now.

Can you elaborate on this statement?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
2 panny th58pz800s should work just fine for you. plus be under your budget, good choice. i would certainly check with the forum sponsors they might get you even better prices and they provide excellent service to alot of avsers.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Sin /forum/post/15504549

Anyway, any advice would be welcome, I "had" my heart set on the TH-58PZ800U but I suffer from buyers remorse and anxiety a lot and I want to make absolutely sure I'm making the best possible decision. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

On a $6k budget I'd definitely get a 65" Panasonic, 63" Samsung, or 60" Pioneer for the living room, and get something inexpensive and adequate for the bedroom with what is left over.

Also, don't forget about a decent sound system if you don't already have something. You should be able to get one of the aforementioned plasmas, a decent HTIB, and lower end 42" plasma for the bedroom on a $6k budget. If you already have a sound system, spend more on the bedroom TV.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't know how people game on a 60" screen at 8 feet - I have a little trouble aiming even on a 46" screen at that distance. Imagine playing a shooting game in a movie theater, that would be impossible.

I'd get 50" max in a small room like those - and more like 42" if it's really 5 foot range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15509241

I don't know how people game on a 60" screen at 8 feet - I have a little trouble aiming even on a 46" screen at that distance. Imagine playing a shooting game in a movie theater, that would be impossible.

I'd get 50" max in a small room like those - and more like 42" if it's really 5 foot range.

Well, right now I'm using a 42" Phillips LCD connected to both my PS3 and my 360 and my viewing distance is anywhere from 3' to 9' away from the screen, I'm in a pretty cramped room that basically has room for the TV and my bed and thats it. (Sit on the foot of the bed). I signed the lease on my first house the other day and the new bedroom isn't too much larger, I don't think I'd really mind the viewing distance to be honest as I'm accustomed to it and I play a LOT of FPS' and haven't had any trouble so far. But the panny is also another 16" larger diagonally so now I'm a bit worried that it might be too drastic of a difference...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I was at Sears today and wanted to show a friend what kind of TV's I was considering but was disappointed to find that Yes, they had a TH-58PZ800U on display, however it wasn't showing the same synced video that every other TV in the store was showing and it was alarmingly dark for a plasma, I'm really, really hoping it was just a weird set that perhaps has been in use for a long time or maybe just the content they were showing. In either case I'll be making the 50 mile trip down to see fellow forum member Roman O on Monday at Clarity Audio and Video in Bellevue and hopefully some of my questions can be answered and maybe I'll walk away with a fantastic TV or two!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Sin /forum/post/15514391

In either case I'll be making the 50 mile trip down to see fellow forum member Roman O on Monday at Clarity Audio and Video in Bellevue and hopefully some of my questions can be answered and maybe I'll walk away with a fantastic TV or two!

I predict at least one 6020 in your future, and perhaps two.

Then again, does Roman carry the 141 and 151 also? If so, be careful, you might walk away with one of those instead, especially that 141 - a true beauty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome, some friends and I took a road trip to see Roman yesterday and I walked out with two of the TH-58PZ800U's and was within my budget, Roman was awesome to work with and gave me a great deal that not only beat his competitor but beat them WITH shipping.

Now I just need to figure out a home audio solution for my bedroom and then for the living room, probably going to be a month or so until I put the cash into it though depending on how the financial situation looks after I finish the rest of the house. (Picked up a nice 3 piece sectional from emerald furnishings for the living room on the way home).

How much should I budget for the living room and bedroom audio systems? For the living room I'll probably go with a 7.1 setup and likely only a 5.1 setup for the bedroom. I've got a Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra system for my PC and doing the research leading up to that purchase a few years ago is about the extent of my audio knowledge.

Again, much love to Roman for all the help, can't thank him enough for being such a great guy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts